Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a good extended warranty?

Guest new2sube

Howdy,

I'm trying to find a GOOD extended warranty before the mfrs.warr. runs out (about 4000 mi. from now). While searching the net I found this site and it seems to be a good warranty..I think. Don't know how to do a clickable link but this is the address that showswhat all the warranty covers. www.warrantydirect.com/wa...racare.asp

Since I've never bought an extended warr. before could somone comment on this coverage. I've got a '99 OB. Cost of warranty w/no deductible is $1425 with the special they've got going. That's for 37 mos./37000 mi. Any comments on this or any good warranty would sure be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

Guest 99obw

Extended warranties are typically a matter of personal preference. My $0.02 on the one you mention is as follows: I think it unlikely that you will spend $1425 on repairs in 37m/37k. On average people need less than that much in repairs, otherwise the company wouldn't make any money. Set the money aside for repairs instead, like I said, chances are you will come out ahead. My view is a little biased because I do my own car work. We have yet to spend $1425 in non-maintenance items in 130,000 miles with our 99 obw, and we have had our share (plus your share) of troubles.

The head gasket job is roughly that amount +-$500 depending on what you have done and who does it. Unfortunately head gaskets go often on the Phase I 2.5, which you very likely have. |I

The miles on the car, condition, repairs already done, your driving style, etc., may determine whether or not it is a wise decision for you. If you have had some of the common problems fixed under warranty, the warranty may be a less appealing option.

99obw

Guest new2sube

I do appreciate your comment. Unfortunately, I'm not able to do my own repairs any more due to some bad discs in my back. (I don't believe I'd know how to do much on these newer vehicles anyhow...my mechanical abilities were from the '60's helping myself and buddies work on our Chevies..:-)

My OB seems to be in good condition (with the exception of its quirks) and if I remember correctly the repair history said the head gasket was replaced at about 30,000. If a head gasket replacement is about $1400 + - $500 (if I read your post correctly) and the 2.5 is prone to blowing them then it would seem that some kind of warranty protection might be a good idea? So far I really like the Sube, I'd just hate to find myself between a rock and a hard place. Closest dealer to here is about 70 miles...long way to have to pay a tow bill!