Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am really thinking about buying a Baja. Does anyone have any complaints with them that I should know. I planning on keeping my brat, but these cars are just too cute to pass up. I have been wanting one since they came out, but only now have I been given the go ahead by "the boss" that I could buy one. please inform.

We looked at one a while back. My biggest complant was that the bed in not corrigated like a normal truck. It is simply flat like any normal car so when your friend (or you drop that concrete masonary unit (cinder block) in it you'll have a heafty repair bill.

I am not sure what the Baja's resale value will do down the road. Older discontinued Subaru models such as the SVX and Brat seem to have quite a following and very reasonable resale values.

The tailgate does not have a lock. Subaru was supposed to develop a lock kit to go along with a bed cover/cargo area box, but I think that plan was dropped when the Baja's failed to sell.

One major problem with the Baja is the box length, its too short for even mountain bikes with the front wheels off, you have to lower the tailgate. But if they made the Baja even longer it would be require a complete redesign, and have a huge turning radius.

A two door Baja with some room (perhaps 18 inches) behind the seats and a longer bed might be an ideal vehicle for outdoor enthusiasts that do not need seating for four.

The Baja has been discontinued, 2004 will be the last year of it. They are heavily discounted (up to $7,000 off in Canada) since most dealers are stuck with loads of them. The forthcoming Baja turbo should sell very quickly, but it will be available in very limited quantities. The Baja Turbo has the same engine as the Forester XT.

I kind of expected it to be discontinued unless it was a huge seller. It seemed to me that it was simply a stop gap measure to keep the factory at as full capacity as possible with an old Legacy platform (a very common auto trick). I really hope the value drops as much as the SVX. I'll have one in the driveway w/in 3 years if thats the case.!

Must be something with the name "Baja". back in the early 90's Cevy came out with the Baja pickup. Nothing more than a 4wd pickup with a light bar (not roll bar), different bumpers and paint job, and a different interior. It was discontinued after 3 years i believe. The Subaru really hasnt fared much better either. heck, out here where every third car is a subaru, i think i have seen at the most 4 or 5 baja's. All the newer soobs are either legacies or outbacks.

We are really happy with our Baja. Would have preferred a more "utility" exterior and interior for serious back country and four-legged passenger-hauling. Does not surprise me that it is being discontinued since everyone we meet thinks it is really neat. Thinking something is really neat and buying one are obviously two different things. Since Subaru is holding just over 1% of the entire market they have to be careful of sales losers. We think it is an immensely practical vehicle for our uses and it it fun. Could be bigger, more powerful, could be this or that. We think they did pretty well. But then we are pretty gung-ho for Subes in general.

• 3 weeks later...

We have the new Turbo Baja and love it. It handles well, fast and does what we need it to do GREAT. It was the ONLY vehicle at any price that met all of our personal criteria. We have no complaints whatsoever with it. It's a great car/truck and worth every penny we spent on it. It would be a real shame for it to be discontinued, but- on the other hand, if they do- I expect the value of it to stay high.

JMHO-

That's interesting that they are being discontinued. That's the first that I've heard of it. I know for a fact that the Western Washington Dealers seem to be selling them pretty well. THe turbo ones have just arrived within the past few weeks, and those seem to be selling well too. I have about 10 or so customers who have Baja's and 4 of them are Turbo ones. I can't say for sure if they're selling well, but they SEEM to be selling well.

Now if they would only bring over the Single or Twin Turbo H-6 3.0 in the Baja.....

Mike

They have a Dual Range transmission for the EJ and EZ series engine? That's news to me. lol, all I knew about was the dual range for the EA series, and they even quit making that here in the late 80's. What types of cars have this dual range? Maybe If I knew more about it, I might be able to source a couple from my sources in Japan, and austrailia.

Mike

No, the dual range tranny is only available with the 2.0L engine and only in Europe and Asia. Also available only in Europe and Asia is the more "practical for dirty loads" Forester with the rubber cargo liner that reaches up the back seats. North American buyers don't seem to request these features through the dealers. Subarus for the North American market today are more geared to "power and luxury" than those in other parts of the world where "practicality" is a little more important. Source: Ray Thornburn, public relations at SOC.

Both dealers I've asked out here sincerely hope the Baja is going to be axed. They just can't move them to save their lives.

I haven't seen any Baja photos based on the Gen III Legacy platform, so I think it's safe to assume the Baja will be no more, even without an official announcement.

I've talked to two different dealers and asked about how the Baja sales are. They said the '03s started off good then died, but there is a big demand for the more powerfull '04 Turbo Baja's. They don't see the Baja dieing off for at least another 2 years, even if sales remain slow, as the '03s did. Let's not nail the coffin shut quite so quick~! :)