Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to know where the spark plugs are on this motor and if it will work

I was looking at this motor and could not figure out what and where the spark plugs wheres and spark plugs are. Also will this motor be able to run off a EJ22E ECU and will the tcu work?? Comes with the tranmission you see there as well :)

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=185&osCsid=8ndcu8rfcv4apmi5lkgvvthrj2

the picture won't load for me. i'm guessing it's either a late model EJ engine (like 1999), in which case the spark plugs enter through the valve covers on the side, not from the top.

if you can keep your current intake manifold or at least the wiring harness your ECU and TCU will not have any problems.

it's a dohc with coil on plug.

If it came with the ecu and harness, and you had the wiring diagrams, it wouldn't be too bad, except for the fact that you would have to lose one of the turbos, find a single turbo exhaust manifold, buy a new crossmember then actually do the swap. That would involve adding wires to your harness from the turbo one (not included), and splicing it all into the plugs for the turbo ecu (also not included).

If you had everything it probably wouldn't be too hard, just a little time consuming, as you'd just have to read both diagrams and match up the corresponding wires. I'm probably going to do it one of these days.

Also, they say it's from an Impreza but only Legacies ever came with twin turbos.

What's the different between the EJ20 and EJ22? That aside, does anyone know where I can find new EJ22 engine? Not that I'm going to get one, just curious on how much it costs.

EJ20 is the 2.0L 4cyl; EJ22 is a 2.2L 4cyl. For a 'new' EJ22 engine, http://www.ccrengines.com would be someplace to check out. EJ22's are fairly readily available used for not too much cash.

the picture won't load for me.

Here's the side view pic. That place embeds/streams the picture into the page instead of linking it, maybe that's why it wouldn't show up. I like how the axles are just sawed off.

ej20dohc.jpg

like I said, a twin turbo does not fit in a LHD car due to the brake booster/MC and steering column.

However, if the 5-speed is included, that's almost worth getting for $550, because you can get used WRX manifolds and turbos for pretty cheap on nasioc.

Still, the costs are going to look something like this:

Turbo crossmember : $200

turbo: $150-$$$$

Exhaust manifold/up/down/tbe: $300

Wiring harness/ecu: $300

Misc things like a boost solenoid and replacement cut hoses and axles etc: $500

A $500 driveline can turn into a $2000 swap pretty quickly.

The TT motors have better flowing heads and bigger valves than a WRX motor from what I've heard.

haha yah I was looking at that after I first posted. Anything and everything that had a connection elsewhere was just snipped off. At least they're being efficient! Drive out the axle spring pin? Nah! hack off the axle! I'm sure at the minimum it is more fun that way for the person removing it!