Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback - should I consider buying

Well, the deal on th 1992 Subaru SVX fell through. Now we are looking at a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback with 120,000 miles on it. They are asking $5,400 for it. We are needing a second car and of course, we are sold on Subarus. Thanks for any help you can give to us.

Jo

Hm..sorry about the svx falling through. There is a guy that posts a lot in the subaru section of buffalogasprices.com that has many svx's and parts.....

Well, for the '98 the normal Subaru checks are in order....torque bind check, tires matching, and assuming that has the 2.5L, head gasket check. If its timing belt hasn't been replaced yet, it is overdue in both mileage (105k miles) and time (105 months).

That is a bit rich in my opinion. Maybe $4500 if all of the HG's has been done.

Agree prolly a good price is $4500. That is about what I spent on my 99 OBW last December. Suggest you do an internet search for used car prices by looking at Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds Used car prices. Print out the prices, then use the info to get bargain the price lower.

I have both a 98 and 99 OB Wagons, and have not had any trouble with blowing head gaskets. I have heard that the problem affects about 10 to 15 % of these cars. So, I keep holding my breath that I own a car in the 85 to 90% side of the ledger that never has hg problems.

BTW, I am very satisfyed with both cars. They both drive nice, with no unusual expensive repairs so far.

rip off. way too many miles for that high of a price. you can get a nice low mileage 1999 SUS sedan (much rarer, harder to find and higher priced that wagons) subaru wagons are a dime a dozen. SUS run about $5,000 - $6,000 being rare and far more desirable. wagons should be $3,000-$4,000. i'd make sure to get one with new headgaskets if you're paying top dollar like that. you realize the heagasket issues these things have right?

Agree prolly a good price is $4500. That is about what I spent on my 99 OBW last December. Suggest you do an internet search for used car prices by looking at Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds Used car prices. Print out the prices, then use the info to get bargain the price lower.

I have both a 98 and 99 OB Wagons, and have not had any trouble with blowing head gaskets. I have heard that the problem affects about 10 to 15 % of these cars. So, I keep holding my breath that I own a car in the 85 to 90% side of the ledger that never has hg problems.

BTW, I am very satisfyed with both cars. They both drive nice, with no unusual expensive repairs so far.

Kelley Blue Book price for Retail (all they list is excellent condition) is $7,885 for that amount of miles.

I have heard that the problem affects about 10 to 15 % of these cars.
I have heard those undocumented numbers too, but that doesn't mean they are true. believe that or listen to people that deal with subaru's every week in the shop or are consistently buying them (like me), that number is not accurate, at least not in my area. only trying to help, i value statistics and trends and am absorbed in subarus weekly. your experience with one or two vehicles is anecdotal at best. if you bought them used they may have already had the gaskets replaced. they are great vehicles, i just wouldn't (and don't) pay top dollar for them. i would drive one, but i won't have my wife driving one (96-02 anyway). for my friends and family i recommend getting something with a 2.2, a 2003+, or it's cheaper and more reliable to buy an EJ25 with blown headgaskets and have it fixed.

Kelley Blue Book price for Retail (all they list is excellent condition) is $7,885 for that amount of miles.
that doesn't mean much. first edmunds is typically regarded as more accurate. and second, us that are in subaru-specific market almost daily are offering you more real world advice.

i just looked up "Subaru" in my local classifieds market and the FIRST ONE on the page is a 1997 Outback wagon with 155k for $3,800. like i said - a dime a dozen around here. your market could be worse, i do not know what subaru's are like around you. you'll either pay more or have to expand your search area for a better deal. i personally would rather find a better vehicle further away and fly/drive it or ship it for a few hundred bucks(i've done both).

I tend to agree with gary here.That car may fetch that much up here in snowy mtn area with ski areas but I'd venture to say the demand isn't that high in Kansas.Maybe ask if that is the balance on a loan they have on it.

Some of these second chance credit places really stick it to people with bad credit and while looking to get out from under it they ask for what they owe which they have no option with as the second chance place won't release the title,hence the high price. I was looking for a second subie for the wife and saw one on a second chance lot,I wasn't interested in the in house financing as my banker treats me well,but out of curiousity I had them draw up the figures. This was a 1999 Outback,decked out,and the price on the sticker was 11000.00,after drawing up the paperwork I see the selling price as

16900.00 with 2000.00 down which turned into about 400.00 for 36 months.Of course the place charges "no interest". No I had no intention of buying the car as I felt even his cash price was to high,and i would caution anyone thinking of this option. Sorry I rambled. I think the price is to high,see if you can get it for 4500.00 or lower