Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Towing with a Subaru?????

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tuner-automotive

tuner-automotive

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • salem

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

OK , I need to know what you guys have towed w/yer subies?
Im planning on selling my 94 Isuzu Trooper and getting a post 93 Legacy or Outback.
Question is though.
Can the Legacy/Outback handle pulling a tow dolly with another subie on the dolly?
It would be towed on flat to mellow inclines , just up and down the I-5 corridor here in Oregon.
Thanx all .
I just really want my subie back but dont know if it can handle the work load I need it to do?

#2 Towel Rail

Towel Rail

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • SW CR IA US NA PE

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:49 AM

Might want to have your brakes looked at if you haven't lately. Those, more than the engine power, would be my concern.

#3 tuner-automotive

tuner-automotive

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • salem

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

Yes brakes will be my 1st check out.
I use to load tractor trailers for united rentals so load and towing are in my background.
AT cooler and brake upgrades will be on the list aswell.

#4 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

Towing another soob probably exceeds the rated towing capacity, especially if you're using a trailer. You probably already know for AWD soobs a dolly (like front wheels off the ground) is not permissible.

I think soob wants trailer brakes over 1000lbs.

www.cars101.com would show the towing ratings.

#5 jon38iowa

jon38iowa

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Ankeny

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

It might be cheaper in long run, and less risky to rent a truck.
just my 2 cents.

#6 CNY_Dave

CNY_Dave

03 LL Bean H6

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Near Cortland NY

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

I googled subie towing capacity, it seems to vary between 2000 and 2700lbs, with trailer brakes recc. for over 1000lbs.

My '03 with the 3L 6 says 2400.

Dave

#7 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,358 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

I think you are asking any Subie to do more than what it was designed to do. Towing a loaded car hauler is too much for any vehicle that is of unibody construction such as a Subie. Your tow vehicle needs to be something with a full frame under it, like a full size p/u truck with a V-8 motor.

#8 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,361 posts
  • WV

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

horrible idea. yes it can do it but it's very unsafe and irresponsible. if you're the type that likes doing irresponsible things that risk your life, the lives of others, and then gloating about it when it "goes okay", "you pulled off what others suggested was a bad idea" and you "beat the odds", then definitely start towing with your subaru. it can do it, but it's a very, very bad idea. it's highly unsafe and not nearly up to the task. brakes will be very, very weak and too much weight.

have a dedicated vehicle for towing only, it'll be less costly in the long run anyway. if you can't afford to do that, then don't sell the isuzu.

#9 montana105

montana105

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Billings

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

I used to tow two jet skis on trailer with my 93 Leg wagon.I'll be honest and say it did it power wise no problem other than pulling long hills or grades.I'll also be honest and say going down those same hills and grades was down right dumb, I luckily never lost control but there were times I was very uncomfortable. I took the hitch off just so i couldn't tow anything anymore.
I wouldn't recommend it

#10 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,358 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

I posted earlier that I think it is a bad idea, others think so too. Therefore, it doesn't take much imagination for a cop seeing this towing rig to think it is a bad idea also. If so, expect to receive a hefty violation ticket for breaking some law. Next, their would be towing fees and in-pound lot fees, when the whole mess is hauled away.

#11 LegAC

LegAC

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Atlanta GA

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

A soob with the appropriate brakes, both vehicular and trailer, wouldn't be that bad. Just keep it out of overdrive and be cautious. Remember that you are doubling your weight.

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to do it on a soob with a manual transmission due in part to a good number of ratios, and the lack of reliance of fluid to transfer the power to the wheels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users