Ultimate Subaru Message Board

valve noise won't quit

Guest korrupt66

Tried the mmo w/oil change. Helped a little. Still hating my subies valve noise. I know this has been a common problem but my loyal is the only one in town that sounds like sh*t. Help :mad:

Guest Flowmastered87GL

tell me about it... I have a 1986 turbowagon with a new engine... it ticks but the engine is NEW!!! GO figure... subaru engines just tick I guess...

Guest intrigueing

Many swear by Auto Rx treatment. My tick significantly decreased when I went from Fram to Purolator Pure one oil filters.

Guest meep424

some soobs use solid valve lifters instead of hydraulic. better performance, more ticking noise. make sure they're gapped right to minimize noise.

Mike

Guest 97SubaruGT

My 97 Legacy got the same thing going on.

I tried MMO and Rislone but so far, nothing changed. I think the noise decreased just a little, but it could be because the ambient temp finally went up above 80.

Just gotta learn to live with it.

My 98 OB clacks like a Mack truck !! I'm thinking of tearing a Diesel badge off of a Jetta and sticking it on my car.

That way, when the next person asks me if my car is a diesel I'll just say "Damn right it is".

Guest korrupt66

Thanx for your comments so far. I did leave out some info. I have a 93' subaru loyal w/ea82. I will try a different filter (using Fram) and the Auto Rx. I have also used the Diesel trick.:eek:

Guest spagemurray

Auto-Rx a definite yes but anything but a Fram filter. Cardboard end caps etc. Not for me thanks! You can buy much better. seee http://WWW.BOBISTHEOILGUY.COM forum for more info and pictures of cut up oil filters of most available brands. Fram is the worst available.

Guest korrupt66

I tried something yesterday and to my surprise it worked GREAT! I still had mmo, Mobil 20w50 and a fram filter. I took some suggestions and changed my filter to a wix. I couldn't find a puralator in my area (central NH). I also changed my oil to castrol high mileage. I didn't take the car out till today and WOW what a difference. I never thought that this change would make such a difference. I didn't need to change the oil for another 1,500 miles but it was well worth the $14 and 30 min of time. Thanks for all your suggestions and I hope my experience helps someone else. Korrupt66:p

Yeah, I ran into a similar prob with my 94 turbo legacy. After changing the lifters and countless oil changes it turns out all it was was a small piece of silicone gasket material clogged in the oil galleries that feed the lifters.

Sounds normal again and runs fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PAezb

At the time I first read this tread, I was due to change the oil/filter in my 96 Outback (2.5 phase I engine). It too was making some noticeable clicking sounds, and sometimes the clacking at cold startup (piston slap?). Well, I decided to try what Korrupt66 used - the Castrol High Milage oil - 10w-30, replacing the Valvoline I usually use. I'm also using a purolator oil filter, I believe it's the 14660 model. I should note that I periodically would use a third of acan of Seafoam engine treatment in the oil at 100-500 miles before changing (I feel the Seafoam does help).

Anyway, after a couple of thousand miles on the Castrol HM, the engine sounds remarkably better, less clicking from the valves, and no clacking on cold startups.

Amazing! Thanks Korrupt66!

Paul

• 7 months later...
I tried something yesterday and to my surprise it worked GREAT! I still had mmo, Mobil 20w50 and a fram filter. I took some suggestions and changed my filter to a wix. I couldn't find a puralator in my area (central NH). I also changed my oil to castrol high mileage. I didn't take the car out till today and WOW what a difference. I never thought that this change would make such a difference. I didn't need to change the oil for another 1,500 miles but it was well worth the $14 and 30 min of time. Thanks for all your suggestions and I hope my experience helps someone else. Korrupt66

Pep Boys in Manchester has them.