Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wheel bearing question

Does $77.00 seem about right for rear wheel bearings on a 91 4WD loyale? It seems kind of high to me Does anyone know where I can get them cheaper?:confused:

Yes, that's "about right". Yes, by about two bucks, mabie.

I'm all ears for a price and availability less than that. I might need them soon, with an "86 that's never been apart. Not enough parts cars and the bone yards crush them.

Later

That include the inner race? Cost me $100 for the 2 bearings and inner race package. It was an SKF package but actually used Japanese (NT brand?) bearings. Then had to buy the inner ring nut retainer from Subaru ($20) as the old one got seriously deformed during removal. Then brought the control arm to our local machine shop to have the old inner race extracted. Hope yours is easier to disassemble. Reassembly is no sweat.

That's the whole bearing from Autozone - no need for extra parts.

If you buy the correct socket you won't deform the retainer ring nut, and they come off easily with an impact (usually).

I've always used the old outer bearing to pound out the race on the three peice units. Older bearings are a one peice affair, and newer ones are a three peice unit..... either way it's not difficult and shouldn't cost all that much more than the price of the bearings and the right tools.

GD

GD, I had to have the local machine shop weld a bead around the inside dia. of both the ring nut and inner race to shrink them then remove them. Both items were seriously rusted in place, and the ringnut tool was not available locally. Time was of the essence so thats how it got done. Ah, the benefits of living in the city are sometimes missed.:)

GD, I had to have the local machine shop weld a bead around the inside dia. of both the ring nut and inner race to shrink them then remove them. Both items were seriously rusted in place, and the ringnut tool was not available locally. Time was of the essence so thats how it got done. Ah, the benefits of living in the city are sometimes missed.:)

Ouch - yeah I would buy an extra set of trailing arms and have them pre-loaded if I lived in a region like that..... actually I wouldn't drive anything I couldn't get parts for in the local yards, so probably wouldn't ever have that problem. If I lived in a "soobless" region it would likely be Toyota's for me.

GD