It has been having a somewhat bad shimy above about 60mph. It shakes the steering wheel back and forth a little bit.
If I take my hand off the wheel, I can see it move back and forth, and it pulls to the left fairly hard. It does not pull below ~60mph, and below 60mph there is a little shimmy but hardly noticeable. Boom, >60mph shimy. The vehicle is driveable with this shimy; it's just pretty iritating.
It has some other pecularities...
- Seems to happen mainly when cool/cold outside, say <50 deg F.
- This summer it was fine, but I remember it doing this last winter.
- It just started doing it again after I had my NYS inspection last Friday. I noticed it immediately after the inspection.
- I rotated the front tires to the rear last night, and it still has the same shimy.
- Tires are Pirelli P400 that were on when I got the vehicle.
- Tires seem to be wearing evenly; no cupping or scaloping or anything noted
- I also have Michelin X-ice winter tires on steel wheels; I can't remember for sure but I think I ran these last winter and it had that shimy sometimes too.
- A few times in the past, I have slowed down on the highway to say <30mph, then when I sped back up to >60mph....no shimmy, smooth as glass; but shimy returns again later.
- Shook down suspension by hand; no noticed looseness. Wheel bearings are smooth with no noticeable freeplay.
So what say ye to check? Thanks zzz