Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear axle removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 88whitecat

88whitecat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Lugoff SC

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:28 AM

So I'm in the process of pulling parts off of the 98 Lego at the moment and I'm at a point where I'm not sure what to do. I've been more or less following the Haynes manual :confused: and it tells you to remove the whole rear knuckle to remove the rear axles. Is there a better way? I know the control arm bolts are going to be a royal pain in the butt and I'm doing this without air tools. A search only comes up with front end removal techniques so any help here would be appreciated.

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:53 PM

Hi. I haven't done a rear axle yet. I think your choices are to somehow get the bearing housing to drop down far enough to extract the axle (not sure how much removing the strut bolts and maybe the sway bar link would get you; that's a normal way to do the front anyway). Or drop down the rear diff, but that might not be the most efficacious route either.

#3 88whitecat

88whitecat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Lugoff SC

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

Yeah I started with detatching the struts and sway bar but soon came to the conclusion that you just dont gain enough room without detaching the lateral links. I wanted to save as much as possible either for my personal spare parts box or to offer to the members here, but got frustrated and said "f**k it!" and cut the lateral links and tailing arm. I saved the axles and rear diff. it needs to go into the OB before snow flies. not having awd drive sux! So i'll keep pluging away at it and in a month or so the stripped carcass will be off to the scrap yard. Thanks for getting back to me though. Its a solace in my mind to know if I have problems I cant figure myself there is a wealth of info from members on the board!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users