Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heated vs. Non-Heated seats

The 96 OBS should have the wiring as I have looked at several outbacks and the wiring is in the console and under the seats. For the outbacks at least the upgrade is very easy.

i agree.

but there is a chance that 96 OBS means 96 impresa OutBack Sport, not 96 legacy OutBack Sedan. i would think the legacy outback sedan would have the heated seat option, and therefore have the necessary wiring. but it's pretty easy to check, 2 screws for the console cover, (visable under the arm rest cover for the console.)

i think he means an Impreza Outback Sport, solidified by the comment "i don't even think they had that option".

was there even a Legacy Outback Sedan offered in 96? i didn't think that was until later. that cars101 site would probably answer some of these questions.

is there a way to convert? if you don't have it, is the wiring there for it? my guess is no?

are heated seats typically leather, cloth or both? seems it would be leather only.

My 95 Legacy LSi has leather seats, but they are not heated. However, the plug is there under the seat. Now, where the heck the other end of that plug's wires goes...I have no idea...

My 95 Legacy LSi has leather seats, but they are not heated. However, the plug is there under the seat. Now, where the heck the other end of that plug's wires goes...I have no idea...

really - did it have the plug for the switches under the console?

i don't have a plug under the console but i have not checked under the seats yet.

They did a pretty good job of hiding the connectors at the factory from what I've seen.

Check between the carpet and the driveline hump under the center console (just in front of the armrest)

It could be buried down in there

If you don't have the plugs in the console, then you won't have it under the seats either. The wiring is part of the interior wiring harness. I just pulled one out of an outback yesterday. The harnes is all plug and play, but you have to get under the carpet and some of the trim in the back of the car. Time consuming, but very doable. I guess you could cut the seat harness from the loom I have and splice it onto your car.