Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trouble removing axel from hub

I'm having trouble removing the axel from the hub, it's the rear off of a 1998 Forester. Axel nut has been removed and it's already out of the car (from the junkyard), but it seems like the the splines are rusted solid together. The hub on the other side slid right off but this side just won't move. I've been spraying it with PB Blaster everyday for like a week and even tried hitting the stub with a mallet a couple times but it won't budge. Any ideas? I don't care about the axel, just the hub, should I just go look for another?

My last resort would be tying it between a tree and my car but I think that's probably a really bad bad idea... The only other option I've come up with is taking it to a machine shop and have them press it out.

Doh! Should have thought of that, I've been there almost everyday on the weekends for the past few months (I think they are starting to hate loaning tools to me since I'll return it thinking I'm done then have to go back to rent it again the next week).

This one work?

i don't see why not. its much better than the one i used from AZ.

two thoughts:

when you reassemble, put anti sieze on the splines. and have you considered using the axle that's on the hub.

i went to swap a hub from my parts car to my daily driver only to realize i coundn't find the socket to remove the axle nut. so i swapped the set. used the parts car's hub and axle for my good car. lots less work now, more work later.

good luck

Thanks. Off to Autozone! I love the one by my house, open until midnight.

I'd rather keep the axel I have on the car since I know it's ok, rather than use one that is of unknown condition and have the joints fail. Plus I can return it to the yard and get the $30 credit;)