Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Putting shoulder belts in rear seats on EA-82 wagon?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Singlecoil

Singlecoil

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Eatonville

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:43 PM

So we have kid #3 on the way and the Subie just refuses to die. That's a good thing because we certainly can't afford a new car right now. I'm not sure we can fit three car seats in the back of our '86 wagon, but I do know that we need shoulder harnesses to properly use the booster seats. Has anyone on here done that mod? Is it something the dealer will do for cheap? (yeah right)

Thanks.

#2 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

Find a loyale wagon in the junkyard and grab everything off of it. I'm not sure if the older body's will have the bolt holes for the top mount, but you might get lucky. Loyales are gauranteed to have them. You'll need the rear inside trim panels as well.

#3 paulpicard

paulpicard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Princeton BC

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

Loyale (my 92) has 'em. Might retrofit?? Shouldn't be too hard - just the upper anchor point.

#4 Singlecoil

Singlecoil

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Eatonville

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:51 PM

Man, that was fast!

Thanks.

#5 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:10 PM

I have wondered the same thing. My 87 doesn't have them, but my 88 did.

Only thing to do is look to see of the mounts are there.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

Should be - they are on the EA81's as they were required in Austrailia I beleive.

GD

#7 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

I tore into a car without shoulder belts in the junkyard once researching this for my 88 GL.

The holes are there, however, the nut on the backside is not.

Soooo.... it will work if you feel safe mounting the bolt in just the unibody metal, unless we can find an easy and safe way to get a nut to thread the bolt into. (All that is for the upper mount for the shoulder harness).

-Dave

#8 paulpicard

paulpicard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Princeton BC

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

That's what I was wondering - if the nut is there. If not, need to find a giant-size drywall-type anchor (sheetrock, plasterboard, gyproc, whatever you call it in your neighborhood) They gotta be out there somewhere. Large nutsert? :confused: :confused:

#9 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:55 AM

what about using a carriage bolt or stove bolt, or whatever you want to call it, as a stud of sorts? any chance? I've never investigated this, so this is just a SWAG..

#10 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:47 AM

Should be - they are on the EA81's as they were required in Austrailia I beleive.

GD

Yep... Good old Australian Design Rules (ADRs):grin: They have prevented a lot of cool cars from ever being sold in Aus!:-\

#11 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,957 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:22 AM

Haven't seen the area of where the nut would be, so take this as just an idea.

I have used a length of 1/4" x 1" flat stock, one end drilled and tapped to proper thread, to use where a weld-nut should've been, (or where one broke loose), in different auto bodies to (re)attach items. Steel would need to be long enough to reach bolt hole from nearest opening in body metal. Maybe it would work in the case.

#12 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:40 AM

Haven't seen the area of where the nut would be, so take this as just an idea.

I have used a length of 1/4" x 1" flat stock, one end drilled and tapped to proper thread, to use where a weld-nut should've been, (or where one broke loose), in different auto bodies to (re)attach items. Steel would need to be long enough to reach bolt hole from nearest opening in body metal. Maybe it would work in the case.

Tom, you're a genius. I think I remember seeing someone do that a long time ago, but its not a trick I've been exposed to yet in my adult life.

Thanks for reminding me about this.

#13 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

The hole is on the C pillar, right where the shoulder belt pivot would mount to the car.

Only problem is, I don't think there are any openings nearby to get behind it from. However, it has been a while since I looked at it.

I do like that idea though!

-Dave

#14 Virrdog

Virrdog

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • NE Ohio

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

Does anyone have a picture of what this looks like?

I have an '89 and I think its missing pieces or something.

#15 Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Elkins, WV

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

There are two different types of rear shoulder belts, aren't there? The ones that mount to the pillar and the ones that just come over the top of the seat.
Andy

#16 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

Would it be too far-fetched to think that maybe you could take the whole rear seatbelt assembly(including the latch) from a Legacy, Impreza, etc and transplant the whole thing into a Loyale, GL-10, GL, or DL wagon?

-Patrick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users