Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Putting shoulder belts in rear seats on EA-82 wagon?

So we have kid #3 on the way and the Subie just refuses to die. That's a good thing because we certainly can't afford a new car right now. I'm not sure we can fit three car seats in the back of our '86 wagon, but I do know that we need shoulder harnesses to properly use the booster seats. Has anyone on here done that mod? Is it something the dealer will do for cheap? (yeah right)

Thanks.

I tore into a car without shoulder belts in the junkyard once researching this for my 88 GL.

The holes are there, however, the nut on the backside is not.

Soooo.... it will work if you feel safe mounting the bolt in just the unibody metal, unless we can find an easy and safe way to get a nut to thread the bolt into. (All that is for the upper mount for the shoulder harness).

-Dave

Haven't seen the area of where the nut would be, so take this as just an idea.

I have used a length of 1/4" x 1" flat stock, one end drilled and tapped to proper thread, to use where a weld-nut should've been, (or where one broke loose), in different auto bodies to (re)attach items. Steel would need to be long enough to reach bolt hole from nearest opening in body metal. Maybe it would work in the case.

Haven't seen the area of where the nut would be, so take this as just an idea.

I have used a length of 1/4" x 1" flat stock, one end drilled and tapped to proper thread, to use where a weld-nut should've been, (or where one broke loose), in different auto bodies to (re)attach items. Steel would need to be long enough to reach bolt hole from nearest opening in body metal. Maybe it would work in the case.

Tom, you're a genius. I think I remember seeing someone do that a long time ago, but its not a trick I've been exposed to yet in my adult life.

Thanks for reminding me about this.