Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lockers with r180

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lazer

Lazer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Norway

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

Hey I've been thinking. The r180 differential does have some aftermarket stuff for it included arb lockers. Is it possible to use one of those in a subaru configuration??
I was thinking mounting a t-case on my brat with 2 r180 differentials with lockers in both.. Is this possible or have I missed something??

#2 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,414 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

are you thinking that the kit for the r200 will crossover to the r180?because they do not make one for the r180 from what i could tell. have you seen one?

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,992 posts
  • WV

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:45 PM

if you're talking about installing r180's for the front and rear, yes that's been done before.

don't know on the lockers, but post back if you find out.

#4 awesomedude

awesomedude

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • damariscotta

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

Yes,supposedly arb does make a locker for the r180.

#5 s'ko

s'ko

RIP

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

I don't think ARB makes lockers for the R180. If you go to their site and look at their application catalog. The R200 has a ARB part number but the R180 says NA.

that sucks...

looks like we will have....
:burnout: :)
:) __:)
BW

#6 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,414 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:50 PM

and the local dealer says no as well.......

supposedly is just that,supposedly.and that doesn't get you anywhere.

i looked into this a while back.when ken got his locker on his brat...cause i was pissed he had one.cheers, brian

I don't think ARB makes lockers for the R180. If you go to their site and look at their application catalog. The R200 has a ARB part number but the R180 says NA.

that sucks...

looks like we will have....
:burnout: :)
:) __:)
BW

#7 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

When I was thinking about doing this, I found that the ARB is supposed to fit the R200A found in the front of Pathfinders etc, but that unit is also supposed to work in the R200 found in Z cars etc. Ok R200s could be used in a Subaru but the problem I ran into is cost. If I was gonna spend that much for two air lockers and possibly machine work on axles etc, why put that much cash into a Subaru?

#8 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,414 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

ok, r200's.....not r180s as stated originally.

we knew that.

#9 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:19 PM

Couple of links:
http://forums.hybrid...ad.php?t=103512

http://forums.hybrid...ad.php?t=114798

If lockers are too expensive, I've seen spools for fairly cheap.

#10 Lazer

Lazer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Norway

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

Is it possible to convert a r200 diff to the standard 5mt 3.9 gearing?

#11 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

If the information in the first link I posted is correct, then you should be able to find a R200 with the 3.9 ratio. So the gearing shouldn't be problem. Getting the output shafts to work with Subaru axles is where it becomes interesting. I was thinking about using Nissan axles but they don't seem to allow much suspension travel.

#12 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

Guys, guys... I've even gone and got a price from an ARB shop on a R180 locker (fits the front of a Nissan Navara (720 anyone?) They do make them... REALLY, they DO!... Problem is the Narava uses the short nose R series. You can however get the long nose, but in a 3.7 ratio the long nose R180 only came in SOME 90's Maxima's. Then, hopefully the splines are the same between that diff and the Navara diff. But then you still have to chop or get custom axles to switch over to the Subaru design. Lots of work really. But I've looked into it and it is very possible. Just over my budget ($1200 for an ARB locker, $300 for a Maxima diff, $$$ for custom axles.. In a $5000 car :rolleyes:)

Sorry about that first part.. I just can't believe how many times I've been told ARB don't make R180 air lockers...

#13 Lazer

Lazer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Norway

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:08 AM

The r180 does look simular to the stock subaru diff Posted Image

as long as we can get the axles to fit this does look doable..

#14 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

Sorry about that first part.. I just can't believe how many times I've been told ARB don't make R180 air lockers...

I guess it's because their website application guide lists the R180 as N/A. Which seems to indicate they don't make one - all other spots in the guide which say N/A mean they don't make one for that application. They do list one for the 6cyl Navarra, but that's an R200 application.

#15 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:42 PM

I guess it's because their website application guide lists the R180 as N/A. Which seems to indicate they don't make one - all other spots in the guide which say N/A mean they don't make one for that application. They do list one for the 6cyl Navarra, but that's an R200 application.

Ok, maybe the USA ARB doesn't do the R180... but you can't tell me there isn't a listed R180 in this file here http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215109.pdf
And I just realized that's even from a US site..

#16 chazmataz

chazmataz

I'm a Mud Addict

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Estacada

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:13 AM

Ok, maybe the USA ARB doesn't do the R180... but you can't tell me there isn't a listed R180 in this file here http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215109.pdf
And I just realized that's even from a US site..

ok, im sorry, maybe i'm wrong here but if you look over to the right of the listing for the r180 on that website link you listed under the column for the ARB part # it shows N/A.

so to me that means not available, right? :confused:

#17 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:30 AM

If I win the lottery and decide to build something with ARB goodies, I'll go down to their USA headquarters in Renton and ask them about those R180 lockers. Who knows maybe street racers need air lockers and they make a kit now.

#18 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

The r180 does look simular to the stock subaru diff Posted Image

as long as we can get the axles to fit this does look doable..

similar yes, the nissan 720 truck I have the housing "look" similar but its actually larger then the subaru housing, also it has bolt up flanges at the diff
heres a R180
Posted Image

heres a R160( Subaru size)next to a R200

Posted Image

heres a good article

http://www.ratdat.co.../R200_swap.html

what we do is just weld up the spider gears and your locked

#19 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

ok, im sorry, maybe i'm wrong here but if you look over to the right of the listing for the r180 on that website link you listed under the column for the ARB part # it shows N/A.

so to me that means not available, right? :confused:

Ok, I see what your on about. A year ago when I looked into this the part number there used to read RD107 with a little 3. I guess they stopped making them. Next time I'm in an ARB shop I'll ask on availability of the locker for the front of a Navara.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users