Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

4x4 mudflaps

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

i was workin on my car today and decided that i didnt want my mudflaps. I tried to take them off but the nut just kept spinning in the little mount. Any suggestions to get these out. Also is anyone interested in having these.

Ben

#2 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:29 AM

i was workin on my car today and decided that i didnt want my mudflaps. I tried to take them off but the nut just kept spinning in the little mount. Any suggestions to get these out. Also is anyone interested in having these.

Ben

Most likely the nut is rusted to the bolt and will not go any further. Best to take a cut off wheel or hack saw to the little bolts.

#3 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:50 AM

Most likely the nut is rusted to the bolt and will not go any further. Best to take a cut off wheel or hack saw to the little bolts.

Yup - angle grinder and a cutoff wheel.

Then sell them in the marketplace. Every set I have had has been snatched up quickly.

#4 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

Yup - angle grinder and a cutoff wheel.

Then sell them in the marketplace. Every set I have had has been snatched up quickly.

wont that cut them up

Ben

#5 Indrid cold

Indrid cold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • Kennewick, WA

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

wont that cut them up

Ben

I think he means too grind the nut off or head of screw with out tearing into the mud flap, and yes... they sell very quickly on e-bay or on this site....

#6 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:56 PM

I think he means too grind the nut off or head of screw with out tearing into the mud flap, and yes... they sell very quickly on e-bay or on this site....

y

#7 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

You can actually remove those without doing anything with the fastener at all. If you are careful, you can stretch the rubber over the fastener, without tearing out the hole. A large flat head screwdriver should give you enuff leverage.

If you do enlarge the hole while removing the flaps, no biggie. They can be re-installed with an oversize washer.

good luck, John

#8 bluebaru

bluebaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • columbia

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

Hell mine have always just rusted off by themselves

#9 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:47 PM

i use a dremel, and a small cutoff blade, if your not careful with a grinder you can melt the flaps from heating up the bolts too much, if your dremel is battery powerd you can use a spray bottle and some water to cool it of while you cut, my last set did come off with a small screw driver. it did elongate the hole slightly, but didnt destroy it

#10 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

i use a dremel, and a small cutoff blade, if your not careful with a grinder you can melt the flaps from heating up the bolts too much, if your dremel is battery powerd you can use a spray bottle and some water to cool it of while you cut, my last set did come off with a small screw driver. it did elongate the hole slightly, but didnt destroy it

Definitely an "art" to this sort of thing...learn by "doing"-not reading...

Remember that these cars were not built to ever be taken apart again. Salvaging this kinda stuff is always going to take a little extra effort...

good luck, John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users