Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4x4 mudflaps

i was workin on my car today and decided that i didnt want my mudflaps. I tried to take them off but the nut just kept spinning in the little mount. Any suggestions to get these out. Also is anyone interested in having these.

Ben

Most likely the nut is rusted to the bolt and will not go any further. Best to take a cut off wheel or hack saw to the little bolts.

Most likely the nut is rusted to the bolt and will not go any further. Best to take a cut off wheel or hack saw to the little bolts.

Yup - angle grinder and a cutoff wheel.

Then sell them in the marketplace. Every set I have had has been snatched up quickly.

You can actually remove those without doing anything with the fastener at all. If you are careful, you can stretch the rubber over the fastener, without tearing out the hole. A large flat head screwdriver should give you enuff leverage.

If you do enlarge the hole while removing the flaps, no biggie. They can be re-installed with an oversize washer.

good luck, John

i use a dremel, and a small cutoff blade, if your not careful with a grinder you can melt the flaps from heating up the bolts too much, if your dremel is battery powerd you can use a spray bottle and some water to cool it of while you cut, my last set did come off with a small screw driver. it did elongate the hole slightly, but didnt destroy it

i use a dremel, and a small cutoff blade, if your not careful with a grinder you can melt the flaps from heating up the bolts too much, if your dremel is battery powerd you can use a spray bottle and some water to cool it of while you cut, my last set did come off with a small screw driver. it did elongate the hole slightly, but didnt destroy it

Definitely an "art" to this sort of thing...learn by "doing"-not reading...

Remember that these cars were not built to ever be taken apart again. Salvaging this kinda stuff is always going to take a little extra effort...

good luck, John