Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto to 5spd swap 92 legacy how hard

How dificult is it to swap out an auto tranny for a 5spd in a 92 legacy, 2wd. Seems like it should be pretty simple, pull the flywhel, clutch pedal and linkage from the donor car, shifter rump roast and boot, transmission itself, anything else? Are the speedo's the same? Do the axle shafts mate the same? Anyone done this before, any and all ideas welcome, Matt.

It really has to be a labor of love. Do yourself a favor and get an entire car to strip parts from. I have been back to junkyards so many times for one tiny item and learned the hard way.

These days I'd just get a car with a manual as I no longer have the time I used to use doing stuff like this. If you are young and have the energy have at it.

Yeah....it's a labor of love, as I can tell you with all the stuff I've done.

Getting an entire car is really the only way to go. Trying to piece-meal everything will take you forever. Most people just don't end up doing all the stuff needed to have a "complete" swap....so safety stuff doesn't work, cruise doesn't work, etc. Which is why I did my write-up...to show what all needed to be done.

Josh