Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does it have a hitch on it? Subies to my knowledge don't come pre-wired for hitch lights. If a hitch was put on though there is a good chance the lights are there too. Now you got me wondering if our GT has the harness as I've never seen it since the hitch was put on.

You will find the trailer light connector at the rear of the right rear (naturally!) wheel well. It is tucked up out of the way and has a blind 6-pin weather plug in it. It is very near the very rear of the car (kinda poetic!) tied down with a plastic hold-down. It is NOT inside of the bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Benebob, I think if some of the message board members that manufacture Subarus ( or any other brand) were asked, they would confirm that it is less costly to ALL concerned to make one wiring harness with all the options than to make several with option combinations. Wire, parts and labor and heartburn! Less expensive, more convenient.

• 1 year later...

I installed a Hidden Hitch Class I hitch on my 2004 Baja turbo with no problem and found the 6-pole weather plug under the rear right wheel well. I purchased a Haulmaster folding utility trailer with a 4-flat plug attachment. My problem is that I can't find the right adapter to get from the 6-pole plug on the car to the 4-flat plug on the trailer. Can I just do this via a T-connector or do I need some more involved converter? Where would I get the right part and which part do I get? Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the wiring kit from Subaru or is there something just as easy, but less expensive I can use. Any advice appreciated.

Search the web for trailer wiring hookups at the hitch sites. You should find a few different brands that will be less $ than a Subaru part. I installed a hidden-hitch and wiring harness on our MY01 OB Wagon. You do need the adapter because of the separate turn signals. The adapter is an electronic switch that uses the single trailer light for both the brake and signals.

Check here:

http://www.hitches4less.com/

or here:

http://www.hitchesonline.com/

Thanks for the links, but I got that far on my own. I guess my problem is that I'm not sure which "hardwire" converter/adpater to order for the 2004 Baja (turbo) out of all those listed. I understand there's something about splitting the taillight signal for use as turn signals (or some such), but just haven't been able to figure out which system is the right one. Also, there's a 6-pole square plug on the car and a 4-flat plug on the trailer. Does the "kit" come with the appropriate adapter? And how the heck do you pop that weather plug off the hookup on the car side. I'm sure a 4-year old can figure these things out, but I don't have one handy to help me out here. So, please excuse my naivete, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the links, but I got that far on my own. I guess my problem is that I'm not sure which "hardwire" converter/adpater to order for the 2004 Baja (turbo) out of all those listed. I understand there's something about splitting the taillight signal for use as turn signals (or some such), but just haven't been able to figure out which system is the right one. Also, there's a 6-pole square plug on the car and a 4-flat plug on the trailer. Does the "kit" come with the appropriate adapter? And how the heck do you pop that weather plug off the hookup on the car side. I'm sure a 4-year old can figure these things out, but I don't have one handy to help me out here. So, please excuse my naivete, but any advice would be much appreciated.
Have you checked Wal Mart ?? I would buy the match to the 6 Pole plug that is on the Baja and with a volt meter, check the individual leads off the match's end. From there, you can get the 4 flat adapter and wire them together as needed for the 4 flat trailer. I did that with a camper I once had... I wired my utility trailer the same as the camper and had to buld a adapter to match my 4 flat on my pickup truck...

If no Wal Mart, out local NAPA store sells those plugs, just costs a little more there than Wal Mart...