Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So Cal Big Bear trip

So since there seems to be a whole bunch of USMB members in the Los Angeles area now, let's get together and do a Big Bear trip.

There are two choices. One is to meet up and cruise up on the highway together and maybe go tubing and stuff,

or we can take some of the back roads to the lake. Back roads will take about 3 hours to do but it is well worth it.

I am thinking of January or so b/c my end of the year schedule is already looking crazy.

BW

I know there are lots of FUN trails up their around Dear Lick(?), on the other side of the Lake from Big Bear itself. Went wheelin with a friend couple years ago in his stock first year CRV and had the WHOLE thing covered in mud (got lots of looks from the Jeep/ Yota guys and one thumbs up from one too :headbang: ). Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have anything ready to go wheelin with by Jan., but who knows, I might come down for the fun of it if I can get time off. :grin:

Ohohoh....I want to go too!

Those are my old stomping grounds :headbang:

I lived in Running Springs from 70-80, but was camping up there starting in the mid 60's. I've 4wheeled the SanBerdo Mts from Crestline to BB Lk.

And on the desert side from Barstow/Victorville to Yucca Valley.

Soobdude, the place your thinking about is Holcomb Valley. You go thru Deer Lick and Fawnskin to get there. I've spent alot of time there, the place is a blast.

But be prepared for Winter conditions. You may not even make it that far back. Better bring chains, blankets, extra clothes, etc. I'm serious, I've been in some harsh winter conditions up there and (I hate to say it) but you flat landers sometimes have no idea :rolleyes:

And since all the fires up there in the last couple of years, I would be ready for slides on the Hiways going up there.

Heres a web site to keep an eye on the conditions up there. Doesnt look to good right now either :-\

http://www.rimoftheworld.net/discuss/166/4013/?action=reverse

I just read a bunch of the reports there, the whole place is burning up :eek:

I thought most of the fires were in Santa Clarita and Malibu, and south down by SD. This really sucks. Hope you guys have a place to in January.

I just heard on the radio driving in that they lost 200 homes in Lake Arrowhead and there is a mandatory evacuation of Big Bear.

Not going to affect our trip in Jan but it might look like the Ardennes after the Battle of the Bulge.

Besides, its those rich foo foo people w/their H2 that live in the hills and other secluded communities that are getting burned.

BW

sorry I need to make a correction. I was mostly referring to the people in Malibu and and parts of San Diego that are being charred.

Apologies for the mistake. The Malibu fire is the one that happened first and suck in my mind.

:dead:

BW

Thanks for the clarification Boz ;)

Having a home in Malibu is nuts. Even if I had the money, the view isnt worth it. The SoCal area has been ravaged by fire the last couple of years, pretty soon there wont be anything left to burn :rolleyes:

Another reason I couldnt live there.....is the thought of having Sean Penn for a neighbor :Flame: