Ultimate Subaru Message Board

L-series wagon steering wheel shakes a little doing 45-55MPH?

Ok what would cause a vibration/shake in the steering wheel while doing 45-55MPH? I know my front alinement is off just a little bit but would that cause the shaking? And you don't really feel it in the car at all if your not holding the wheel.. Any info or thoughts would be much aprishated...:)

Tom

Yeah i dunno if it's the wheel balence because their brand new tires and the tire shop should have balenced them good..

TL

They should have, but they often don't! For such an easy task to complete, its amazing how many people seem to mess it up. Try putting your rears on the front and see if it changes.

Yeah i'll do that! I hope he did it right... One thing tho, If the tires were not balenced good you would feel it in the rest of the car right? Because i don't feel it in the seat or anything else....:confused::rolleyes:

No you only start to feel it in the whole car if it is really bad. If its just a little out, you only feel it in the steering wheel.

Hummm ok.... Well that sucks.. Because if it is that, Then i have to get my tires re-balenced....:mad:

Thats probably the best outcome you can hope for! Shouldn't cost much at all, if anything.

It could also be a bent rim - it is possible for the balancing machine to say a wheel is properly balanced, when the wheel is in fact bent, and as such will always cause vibration. Again, swap your rears with your fronts and see if there is a difference.

As for it starting before/after getting new tires, IDK?? I never took it 45-55MPH before that...

And as for having a bent rim, I don't think i do.. Because you would feel it going 25 and any other speed.... And like i said, You don't feel it in the car. Just the steering wheel....

So i'll swap the front with the rear and see what happens..... Thanx for the input....

PS: It's not a CV... Theres no noise... You would hear it when you hit bumps and turning...

A bad cv joint doesn't always make noise if they are bad they can just cause a vibration under acceration and cruising at higher speeds like the range you are describing. alot of times this is the inner cv joint.

swapping the tires around from front to rear will move the vibration and you will feel it differently, you can still feel it in the steering wheel but in a different way plus you can feel it in the whole car too.

go have them rebalanced, let them know whats going on and that you want to make sure its not the tires. as the tire/wheel is spinning on the balance machine they can see if its bent or not. if they can have them do a road force balance this will balance it as if it was on the car and the road, this will also show a bad tire if that is the possible problem. YES, you can have a bad new tire. see it all the time, you never know if one of your tires got accidently squished (for example by a forklift while being loaded in a truck) this will cause a ply separation which inturn will cause a vibration.

Huh! It might be the tire!? It's a Douglass. (Wal-mart):eek: Cheep rubber... Anyhoo yeah i don't think it's a CV at all because like you said. You would feel it when under acceration... Mine only seems to do it at higher speeds..:-\ So...... Do you think it will cost some $$ to rebalence them? If that's the problem? Yeah i know you can have a bad tire even if it's new.... (Defects)

Alright thank's for all the ideas will see what's what......

Tom

Most tire shops that you bought the tires at should re-balance the tires for you for free if you are having a problem like that. however, wal-mart is not a tire shop and may not do that for you. only way to find out is to ask them right? next time, don't go with the douglas tires. trust me, good tires can make that $500 car feel like a much more expensive one.

Yeah i know... Well i was 15 and i saw these tires which had really good tred and thought it was a good idea.. And as for the mounting thing, I got them mounted at a auto repair place.....

I know i really regret getting these... The ride is good it hits nice and hard.. Like a SUW (Sport utility wagon) should the sides are a little soft but thats Wal-mart for ya...

I'm going to admit it right here, I was stupid.... Not what's strange tonight coming home from work i was doing 45-50 and the wheel did not shake at all..:confused::rolleyes: Maybe it was the road that one day?

Thnak's everyone

Tom

if walmart did the tires ask them to balance the tire or at least rotate the wobbly tire to the passenger rear.

usually if you buy a tire at wal-mart they havelifetime balanceor rotation. find the receipt or find out how thay have you listed intheir computer

It could just be a bad tire...super cheapo tires many times are "out of round" I remember the Futuras from Pep Boys were notorious for that a few years back...this I know cause I had many cars that I put Futuras on.

I am learning my lesson of cheap tires... I tossed some cheapies on my XT6 and they ...well suck...no grip in snow..same small vibration...yet the Goodyears on my Imp...Wow..I am actually looking forward for some snow to play in..just need to swap my front suspention to finish the small lift the car is getting.

And my Loyale had Cooper snow tread on the front..ran them non-stop for 4 years...awesome tires..Planning on going with Coopers on the XT6 soon.

I would have them rebalanced and if its still there...just keep an eye on the CVs and run them...Buckys bad shake wouldnt show up until 45 mph then it would go away at 50 but come back with a vengence at exactly 73

Planning on going with Coopers on the XT6 soon.

I'm not buying anymore coopers:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1197&g2_serialNumber=2

Those were Cooper Dominators. It may have blown while the technician had it on the tire mounter, but I'm pretty sure it blew from a tire defect. I'm starting to see a similar line in one of my other tires... just waiting for it to pop out the side like that.

Yeah the car used to have Coopers in the rear and some other tires in the front... All four were bald! I really regret buying these!! I hope they grip in the snow:eek: God i was soooo stupid! Wal-mart tires, What was i thinking.. I'd like to buy other tires but that's like a big waste of money.. That's what my dad would say.... Plus when i bought these i dident know i could go with 175/80R13's... So i bought 165/80R13's... Ooooo....

I should go with yokohama's! Since that;s what Subaru is putting on there new cars now.... It's used to be dunlop i think? That's what the spare is.

I'd like to buy other tires but that's like a big waste of money.. .

Always worth spending a few extra bucks on good quality tyres. They last much longer (tend to anyway) and are much better on wet roads etc. Plus they tend to have stronger sidewalls for the offroad stuff.