Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 Lug conversion ????

You can either use the struts from a 2WD XT6 or a Legacy or Impreza. The Legacy and Impreza struts will be a little tight going on to the XT6 knuckle, but they will bolt up and work. Or you can just use the lower arms, tie rod ends, ball joints and front brake calipers from the XT6 and use the knuckles, axles and struts from an Impreza. I had Tex try that set up while he was doing his conversion and it worked just fine. The Impreza axles are like 4mm longer then the EA82 axles.

Originally posted by Dr. RX

You can either use the struts from a 2WD XT6 or a Legacy or Impreza.

Just so I'm clear, it has to be from a FWD car regardless of which of the three models you choose for the donor struts, right? Also I'm assuming this is strictly due to the differences in the rear struts as the front struts are identical between FWD and AWD models (on the Impreza/Legacy at least).

I've been considering this conversion myself as I have a set of 15x7 Raceline RL-7s that would look great on my RX! :D

is the automatic trans full-time, you need 25 spline axle, xt6 uses 25 splines.

if it is indeed 25 spline, it will fit on an RX

i am wondering if the ball joint hole or the length of the xt6 lower control arm is the same or different than an ea82

Any non-air Legacy front strut and any Impreza front strut ( I don't think I have ever seen an Impreza with air suspension), FWD or AWD.

89 backward Subaru, yes this is the same bolt pattern as the WRX, Impreza, Forrester, Legacy, or Outback, but not the SVX.

Originally posted by Dr. RX

Any non-air Legacy front strut and any Impreza front strut ( I don't think I have ever seen an Impreza with air suspension), FWD or AWD.

So what about the rear? Can you use Impreza/Legacy struts there or do you use something else?

No, the rears on Legacys and Imprezas are true struts, not shocks like on the rear of the EA82s and XT6. I've looked at the rear suspension of an Impreza, and with a lot (I mean A LOT) of work, it could be made to fit under an RX. But then you'd have to fabricate rear strut towers, and a rear tower brace. Not sure if it is worth all the trouble to do it, other then to just be able to say you did it.