Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Putting a 6 bolt Sparco Steering wheel on a 79 brat, HOW?

How do do this? I would like to just buy the HUB for $60 instead of the quick release weld on one for $299.

I'm trying to find out what the guts are to the steering wheel and without the car here, I could use some help.

The new steering wheel is a 6 Bolt Wheel but the adapters are car specific. Does my 79 share the same internals as any other Gen 2 Subies? Has anyone done this before? Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

you mean like this???

:D

IMGP3021.jpg

with stafman quick release hub???

IMGP3020.jpg

i should warn you that the deep dish wheel you got is gonna sit really close to you... mine is close and it's a flush mounted wheel...(quick release adds an inch)

here is how i did it... you make your own hub! get any sparco compliant hub... take the 'hub' part off of it... its 4 bolts. all you need is the raised part that the wheel directly bolts onto...

second. take off old steering wheel. cut the spokes off and grind the steering wheel centre down until its a fairly flat surface. drill new holes for the sparco hub to bolt to. make sure you line this up correctly as your blinkers won't function properly without this being correctly aligned... bolt hub to the centre of the steering wheel centre, then bolt on the sparco wheel. warning, you can't use the stock horn button as disasembling the wheel requires removing the clock bit of it...

good luck, and if you really need it, i can take some pics...