Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've gone and done it now...

I have a 1986 GL-10 Turbo four door push button 4wdr that doesnt work. (probably the electronics as they stink on this rig)

It always smoked. A little at startup maybe a little from the part of the exhaust where it joins into the single pipe the stove I think its called. Well I park after a long trip. It smokes I check it out. Its a little thicker than usual but nothing to be concerned about right... :cough:

Well... I spend an hour in the library hop back it let it coast down the hill and turn it over (bad starter you see) and moments later I find I am driving a Jet! Trail of smoke and all. I make it the four or five blocks back home from my trip and park it I am really smoking! From the tail pipe and gobs from under the hood. I shut it down and get under the hood. Cant see a thing I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to doing things under there. So I go for the dipstick. I am parked on a slight down hill so I can get it going again next time and the stick reads Nothing. Nothing boys and girls. Ladies and gents I was just driving a car with no oil. Now my temp gauge isnt the most accurate thing on the car but it never read hot. My radiator never had a problem. I was running my heater and it never got overly hot. What did I do? Every time I start the thing its a smoke storm. I tried to put more oil in and put in WAY to much. So I am going to drain it and fill it proper tomorrow morning. I am going to check the pcv I read that can sometimes cause a bucket of smoke.

The engine sounded fine. It still had power. It just smokes so much I am sure someone is going to careen off the road behind me or I am going to burst into flames.

Oh please help I simpley cant afford another car.

Well maybe that 82 soobie down the street. new tires, needs a Starter module? (thats what the owner said) I think he means an(Ignition controller module) but what do I know!? I know he only wants two hundred for it. :cough:

I paid three for the one thats smoking and I am not ready to let her die!

Please all suggestions welcome!

Joshua:eh:

Joshua, try to change the title of your post: in a few words describe what's happening and include vehicle year and model. This way (hopefully) more people might be motivated to view your post and help if they know anything about it. Right now your title doesn't tell much.

Other than that -- I feel for you (have been in your situation), but - I often cry for help myself when it comes to "why's".

Ifin' it's smokin' from under de bonnit 2 then it could be a cracked/bad turbo:eek: Mine has the same problem if I let the down pipe sit on a rock or stump for more than a second or 2, but it will go away after drivin' it around for 15-20min. I would still try the PVC 1st, cheep and eazy.

Smokes white grey looks like steam but smells rank. I cant get the hose off the pcv and I cant get the pcv off ::LAUGH:: I only have one wrench. The kind that opens and closes like a lever. I am going to borrow some crescent wrenches? The closed ended/open ended sort. GOSH I pray its the PCV. Thanks Folks I will keep you informed.

PS

Preciate the tip on the title. No more mellodrama until i get to message!

HA

:rolleyes:

It also sounds like the turbo blew the oil seal, or line. This turbo is easy to find and shouldnt cost much second hand. The problem for you I think, is lack of tools and know-how. But seeing how your in the most Soob populated area around, maybe someone can give you a hand replacing it.

(sorry, I cant help, I already have enough on my plate)

Rob

Sorry guys. This is a 3 speed automatic -correct?

My check mark goes beside the vacuum modulator on the tranny.

Check the auto tranny fluid, if it's a bad mod. it will be real low. BTW I am the optomist of the group.

You only need one wrench to change it to.

This devise is on the pass side of the transmission, down low.

Has one rubber hose on it. If you pull the rubber hose and it has red oil in it - that is the problem.

Sure hope this helps.