Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Shifter Fix - EA-EJ swapped cars

Subarutex

Ultimate RX came equipped with an EJ 5-spd transmission and a modified EA shifter assembly. Once the car ran, I knew this setup was going to have to be redone. The linkage rubbed on the drive shaft in 3rd and 5th... even after "clearancing" it for several thousand miles.

One day on my way home, it broke.

CIMG2196.JPG

The "barrel" end broke off at the weld. You can see above my finger the part that was "clearanced".

I made the decision to try and fit an EJ shifter assembly, mainly for the option at somepoint in the future of getting an off the shelf short shifter.

I ended up getting something very similar to this of nasioc for cheap!

EA2EJShifter.JPG

After doing some fitting with Dan from Smart Service, we identified the 3 areas that needed modification. The most important being we needed to change the "bracket" end of the shift rod to a "barrel". However, we were able to bolt it up, bracket to bracket, so we knew the bolt hole placement was at the correct length.

Reusing the broken "barrel" I had my welding buddy change out the "bracket" end. He also was able to completely remove the metal ring that retains the boot along the shift rod.

CIMG2170.JPG

Close up of the welding at the end... The smaller tube is actually sleeve all the way down to the elbow in the shift rod for strength.

CIMG2169.JPG

To make the process easier, we had made a scrap wood jig to hold the arm in place correctly in relation to the bolt hole alignment. Took us about 45 minutes to get the jig made. With that out of the way only took him about 20 minutes to TIG it all together correctly at work.

Once we had the modified shift rod, I went to the task of fitting the Stay Rod. The transmission end slid on with no problems, I reused the washer plate from the existing assembly.

CIMG2172.JPG

For the other end, I was able to re-use the 2 holes in the chassis for the factory shifter, and a piece of metal strapping to bolt it all in with no drilling.

CIMG2174.JPG

CIMG2183.JPG

Next came the easy part of bolting in the shift rod, and re-installing the shifter into the cup. I think it came out looking pretty nice. The shifter is also moved back a bit, to ease the banging of the CD player on quick 3rd or 5th gear shifts.

CIMG2184.JPG

Close, but just enough clearance around the shift rod...

CIMG2186.JPG

All back together with the factory EJ rubber boot (minus the ribbed portion that connected to the shift rod), and my Prodrive shift knob.

CIMG2189.JPG

Of course, the stock console does not go back on... the shifter is too far back. However, I plan to merge the stock console sides with an EJ style shift boot and trim ring. In the mean time I'll enjoy my shorter shifts, that don't interfere with the driveline or chassis anymore. I'll also revel in the fact that when I find a set of poly shifter bushings on sale, or a short shifter I can just "bolt it in".

Nice mod, 'Tex. Just one question, couldn't you have just removed the boss held onto the shifter arm with a roll pin that operates the selector forks inside the gearbox and replaced it with what you had in the second picture, thus requiring no welding for a modern ej shifter? Or did the shifter rod also need shortening?

Kaz

Nice mod, 'Tex. Just one question, couldn't you have just removed the boss held onto the shifter arm with a roll pin that operates the selector forks inside the gearbox and replaced it with what you had in the second picture, thus requiring no welding for a modern ej shifter? Or did the shifter rod also need shortening?

Kaz

Could have... but I didn't have that part. I got my shift linkage from someone who was upgrading to the STI stuff, so I didn't get the part that connected to the trans.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...