Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quick question: what size are strut bolts?

Cool, thank you!

M14x1.5

I wouldn't use lug nuts. They are not as precisely threaded, which helps avoid cross threading them. They may not take 110 Ft. Lbs very well either, which is hte torque setting for strut bolts.

You can get m14x1.5 at ace hardware, without the flange. You can use a hardened washer instead.

The subaru part number is 20550AA010

Wheel studs are M12x1.25. The strut bolts are M14x1.5 like uniberp said. The cam on the upper eccentric bolt is 16.5mm.

Buy replacement bolts and nuts from the dealer. Do not get something at the hardware store that sort of fits.

On my soobs the wheel studs/lug nuts are M12x1.25 pitch so I don't think lug nuts would work anyway.

The strut to bearing housing nuts are self locking/one time use.

If using an ace hardware nut, I would go with the 10.9 grade flange nut (approx sae grade 8); I would not use anything that says 8.8 (more like sae grade 5). The OEM nuts are about $7 ea. IIRC; these are a pretty important fastener so I'd buy the OEM is possible.

The strut mount nuts I think were M8x1.25 pitch, again self locking.

edit: also the OEM nuts are typically yellow zinc dichromate plated which seems to be fairly corrosion resistant; not sure about hardware store coatings.

On my soobs the wheel studs/lug nuts are M12x1.25 pitch so I don't think lug nuts would work anyway.

The strut to bearing housing nuts are self locking/one time use.

If using an ace hardware nut, I would go with the 10.9 grade flange nut (approx sae grade 8); I would not use anything that says 8.8 (more like sae grade 5). The OEM nuts are about $7 ea. IIRC; these are a pretty important fastener so I'd buy the OEM is possible.

The strut mount nuts I think were M8x1.25 pitch, again self locking.

edit: also the OEM nuts are typically yellow zinc dichromate plated which seems to be fairly corrosion resistant; not sure about hardware store coatings.

My dealer wanted $16 each, but after my spaz attack he gave me 2 for $10. I needed them and he had them. My KYB GR2's for the rear came without nuts, for some reason. They also used m14x1.5 on the top and the strut body was painted grey . The fronts used m12 and were black painted strut bodies.

haha yes on some of those prices it's like no, I just want one, not a bag of 10....oh that is the price for one...whew I need to sit down for a minute.

I used GR-2's on '00obw and '96 legacy and yes I don't think they came with nuts for the rear strut mounts to strut either. Some of them were loose in the box and some were lightly screwed onto the top of the strut but I don't remember the details. The M8x1.25 are the three nuts for the strut mount to body.

haha yes on some of those prices it's like no, I just want one, not a bag of 10....oh that is the price for one...whew I need to sit down for a minute.

I used GR-2's on '00obw and '96 legacy and yes I don't think they came with nuts for the rear strut mounts to strut either. Some of them were loose in the box and some were lightly screwed onto the top of the strut but I don't remember the details. The M8x1.25 are the three nuts for the strut mount to body.

My GR2 struts came with new top nuts. The originals would not fit anyway. One nut fell out of the box during shipping but the auto parts store had a suitible replacement.

The bolts and nuts are all some type of metal lock nut. The type that go on tight! They will not come off.