Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mountain Loop Highway Adventure? (east of Everirett Washington)

Hey I just heard that after four years of being closed due to storm damage, the Mountain Loop Highway has finally reopened from Darrington to Barlow Pass!

So any interest in doing a tour de Mountain Loop? Kind of a last fall trip before the snow flies. There's lots of side roads and stuff to explore, a cool fire lookout up on North Mountain above Darrington, and even some abondonned/washed out roads for Hatch Patrollin'. If meet-up points were established, this could be a fun day trip for steet cars and offroaders alike. The only catch is that Barlow Pass will be closed for the winter pretty soon, so any Loop trips will need to happen before the first big white dump.

I'd suggest doing the loop in the clockwise direction. Perhaps meet near the I-5 exit by Arlington.

So anyone interested?

Well since I currently have no Subarus I can drive, it ain't gonna be this weekend.

So how about Sunday November 11th?

8am?

Meet at (or near) the Arlington Denny's Restaurant located just off the I-5 exit to State Route 530.

How about inviting the Outback message board folks and others?

Map to Arlington Denny's (if the link works)

Google Maps

Well since I currently have no Subarus I can drive, it ain't gonna be this weekend.

So how about Sunday November 11th?

8am?

Meet at (or near) the Arlington Denny's Restaurant located just off the I-5 exit to State Route 530.

How about inviting the Outback message board folks and others?

Map to Arlington Denny's (if the link works)

Google Maps

Ack, I would have to leave the house by at least 6:30am :eek:

Not sure if I can get my boys up and ready to go by that time :-\

Yeah Rob, I got to thinking that the early launch time maybe wasn't such a great idea. I'm up early for work so it's just my programming.

Would 10 or 11 be better? Folks could sleep off at least some of the hangover or go to early church (or both if they're like the catholics I grew up with.)

And speaking of spiritual conflicts, are there any games that day I don't know about? Seachickens play on monday night that week so no problem there.

Last time I did a Sunday drive to Darrington, we went up North Mountain and checked out the view from the old fire lookout and then we went back down to to Darrington for lunch at a Tavern. Despite what I've heard, the locals were actually quite friendly and the food was excellent.

Ok, so 10am Sunday Nov 11th it is then.

Any other opinions on start time or day?

Oh yeah. For lunch I'd prefer to skip the tavern and heat up some coffee and stuff on the tailgate somewhere scenic.

Now I just need to get my legacy to pass emissions. I'm currently driving a honda. yikes

Ok if you guys are up for going then I'm in. I've been sorting and getting rid of Beth's clothing and stuff. Damn sad business. I really need to get out and be around people.

Sounds like there might be rain that day.I don't mind rain or snow, I just want to be able to see the big mountains. White Horse and Big Four are just a couple of the peaks along this route. Great scenery if the clouds aren't hangin too low. I'm hoping we can get up to North Mountain Lookout above Darrington and maybe try exploring the Coal Lake Road and up to the old Mount Pilchuck ski area.

Looks like I'll driving the Legacy. Still haven't fixed the emmisions problem so I'll have to get a trip permit.

Here's the link to the Forest Circus webpage describing the route and scenic viewpoints etc.

There used to be a couple of fairly safe old mine shafts right next to road not too far from Red Bridge and the Washout. Bring a flashlight and boots if you want to get a quick dose of what it's like underground.

For a preview of some scenery check out: http://darringtonwa.org/pictures.php

Here's a TopoZone map showing the road to North Mountain Lookout: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=48.29523&lon=-121.64617&s=200&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG100