Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD not working anymore

I was told that there is a pin that locks the car into 4wd, in a 1983 brat GL, my Q is, where is this pin, and is it easily replacable. as i have no front axels in the car and am having to rely on driving it in 4wd mode until i finnish my other car. so i have one of two choices, buy axels, or replace the pin. any help with where this pin it and how to get the car to move again, would be great

I'm not sure about a pin, I thought it was more of a gear myself. When in fwd the center diff is unlocked, engaging 4wd locks the center diff and sends power to the rear diff through the center diff making the rear wheel(s) spin at the same rate as the front wheel(s). check out the center diff, and if it's dual range, be sure it's not in nuetral between hi and lo-range. what transmission do you have? It may be a pin, but not sure. Good Luck

in the case of an automatic a clutch-pack engages the four wheel drive. If I'm not mistaken it's allowed to slip a little bit at low speeds, or low rpm. one or the other.

I'm not sure but I beleive the 4wd button electricly operates a solenioid that uses vacuum to engage the center diff or to let it slip a bit at low speed/rpm? Check for a vacuum line that runs near the pitch bar back to the tranny, not sure if this would solve the problem but this is a message board and appears as though everyone is avoiding the q. I don't know it all but will help whenever possible.

No Dis-Respect. I didn't mean to imply that you know it all or anything I was just saying Throughout the board, people have had problems and what-not they know what's up with there cars but don't seem to want to reply. Then I said I'm sure not a know-it-all, but I will help with kowledge, experience, tips etc. etc.. Good Luck with it.

no i wasnt saying you disrespected me at all. i was just saying that i dont expect anyone to know everything, but then some just know what and where the problem lyes, and that is what im looking for, and so on.i just know someone else has had this problem, and i cant seem to find the link to it, but i will find it soon

and get the problem taken care of, or i will just go find some axels and use the front like i am suppose to, but was just hoping to make it past the end of the year till i had to do it. but then again, things happen....

sorry about last night 78turbobrat. I was hoping between 3 houses and helping unload an engine for Mike when you were about to goto bed, had to get the truck back to robbie and completely forgot to post before going to bed. Sorry dude.

And as for the delay in responses... (RE: myossfeece comment about ignoring a thread) some folks don't hop on every day. (rolls eyes at myself) as I have been on everyday for a while now..... but enough about that I have been searching the board.....

.... oops will check when i get back... gotta run.

Electric Monk, No problem, gave some stuff to Calebz for you, said he might be going over to Mikes to do some things this weekend. so i gave him some stuff for you.

as for the car the car is not FT4WD.... it is selectable 4wd and so on.... Still no progress on finding a fix for it, so new axels are on order as of tonight for it. get them tomorrow, so that will get me back on the road.

but still need to know how to get the 4wd fixed.