Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, ya'll. Well, the day has finally come for my '96 OBW. The old phase 1 2.5 had a good run to 142k without HG issues. Now I've got intermittent overheating, bubbles in the coolant, etc. and I think I know what's coming.

Got one quote for $2400 to take the engine out, replace all the main seals, HGs, timing belt, etc. Needless to say, I had to chew on a few Tums after hearing that. So, at this point I'm shopping around and I'm open to suggestions.

Specifically, I'm looking for a reputable mechanic in the Richmond, VA area. Delta V motorsports gave me the above quote, and I know Island Imports is good with Subies, but I had a bad experience with my girlfriend's old tercel there last summer.

Of course, there's always the possibility of going into more debt for a sweet 2005 gt wagon 5spd...

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

P

I have a friend whose son was hit last Friday in his 97 OB and it is toatlled. He just had the engine resealed and new HG's put in. He'd probably let the engine go for around 800. It has around 135k on it and runs smooth.

You can do the install yourself, it isn't very difficult. Or I'm sure there are some mechanics that will do it cheap.

Very interesting. Could I get this guy's contact info and get a look at this? This would be the engine, ECU, and all that? Automatic trans?

I have a friend whose son was hit last Friday in his 97 OB and it is toatlled. He just had the engine resealed and new HG's put in. He'd probably let the engine go for around 800. It has around 135k on it and runs smooth.

You can do the install yourself, it isn't very difficult. Or I'm sure there are some mechanics that will do it cheap.

Hey, ya'll. Well, the day has finally come for my '96 OBW. The old phase 1 2.5 had a good run to 142k without HG issues. Now I've got intermittent overheating, bubbles in the coolant, etc. and I think I know what's coming.

Got one quote for $2400 to take the engine out, replace all the main seals, HGs, timing belt, etc. Needless to say, I had to chew on a few Tums after hearing that. So, at this point I'm shopping around and I'm open to suggestions.

Specifically, I'm looking for a reputable mechanic in the Richmond, VA area. Delta V motorsports gave me the above quote, and I know Island Imports is good with Subies, but I had a bad experience with my girlfriend's old tercel there last summer.

Of course, there's always the possibility of going into more debt for a sweet 2005 gt wagon 5spd...

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

P

i know a shop who will do head gaskets for less than half, 40%, of your quote just south of roanoke. i take it the car is in richmond? let me know if you are interested. it might be worth a call.

i spoke to him at lenght, his price includes sending the heads out to be checked. i don't know how much if any t-belt parts it includes. i was inquiring about a 2.2 / 2.5 engine swap and he said "why not just fix the gaskets, it only 900$."

why does your bio say roanoke??