Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where exactly is the IAC????

Hello. Trying to find this IAC valve. I saw many pictures but I don't know exactly what I am looking at. Anyone have a clear picture of the engine bay with a picture? Reason why I ask is I am noticing low idle sometimes. Thanks.

BTW I ordered the seal for the IAC and can I use throttle body cleaner to clean it? or do I need use seafoam?

Hi. Here's the location from my '94 2.2L. If you follow that hose you'll see the IACV/ISV there (well not in this pic of course because the plastic engine decoration is in place). Here's how I clean mine; seems to work pretty well without even removing the IACV/ISV:

1. remove IACV intake hose from air intake snorkus

2. run engine at idle (may make system a little upset as idle airflow is not passing through MAF at this point; I haven't had any problems though).

3. give a dozen or two short blasts of throttle body cleaner into the iacv intake hose. Engine will die out if you give too much of a blast.

iacv-intake-94-1.jpg

Thanks alot porcupine73! I had to fill up the hose with throttle body cleaner(said for IAC valves as well) and plugged it back in then just started the car and held the gas down wouldn't work if I unplugged it. But WOW after the 2nd shot in the tube it made a worlds difference no more low idle if I tap the gas. ALWAYS went to 500 rpm's after the 2nd shot of throttle body cleaner before if i tapped the gas really quick in park the engine would almost die. Car is like WAY more responsive and smooth as well, this seems to have made a worlds difference! Thank you very much!!

God-that rust just gets every where doesn't it,is this due to road salting? Sorry to interject on this thread!!!

A good engine degrease/wash every once awhile wouldn't be too bad of an idea. My 91's engine looks a lot cleaner because I clean it regularly. Me, too, sorry that I have to offend someone here...forgive me. :lol: