Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cleaning an engine on a stand

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:35 PM

getting an engine ready to drop in that's rather greasy with oil all over it. right now the intake manifold isn't installed. i'd like to get it as clean as possible without taking zillions of hours wiping and rewiping the entire thing. what do you guys do?

#2 Gravityman

Gravityman

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • Goldsboro

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:54 PM

I would say if you can get the engine to a wash rack or a pressure washer, cover all the holes to prevent ANY water or cleaner in. Get some carb cleaner, a green non-metalic scotch brite pad and some simple green. Soak it in carb cleaner and scrub with pad then go over it with some simple green scrub a little more, change pad often they are cheap. Then rinse it with the pressure washer. Make sure the cleaners soak in to the grease. Then go home and spray it with alcohol wipe it down and dry with compressed air. I hope you have the means to do this, I think you do. It should clean it up good.

GL
Scott

#3 Gravityman

Gravityman

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • Goldsboro

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

Oh I forgot, What are you droping in and into what?

#4 svxpert

svxpert

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:28 PM

cover the head / manifold holes and buy 4-8 cans of brake cleaner and have at it. tilt the engine so the residue runs off.

#5 jon38iowa

jon38iowa

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Ankeny

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:31 PM

getting an engine ready to drop in that's rather greasy with oil all over it. right now the intake manifold isn't installed. i'd like to get it as clean as possible without taking zillions of hours wiping and rewiping the entire thing. what do you guys do?

I like simple green too, but for really dirty engines, I've an employed a product called Awesome. It works great and is faster at the job.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:34 PM

have you guys done this? i feel like i've hit stuff before with engine cleaner, degreaser, brake cleaner, carb cleaner and the nasty just doesn't come off. i'll give it a whirl again. i'm not looking for squeaky clean, just don't want a black engine either! not sure how such low mileage engine gets that dirty in the first place, but whatever.

project scott? i don't say, it usually gets responses like "buy something else" or "you're dumb" or whatever people say when they think everyone else has to be, think and make decisions like they do. it's the opposite of what most people care about, so it's not that interesting. slower, FWD...bring it on!

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:35 PM

i got plenty to do, i'll try a bit of them all! thanks!

#8 jon38iowa

jon38iowa

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Ankeny

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

have you guys done this? i feel like i've hit stuff before with engine cleaner, degreaser, brake cleaner, carb cleaner and the nasty just doesn't come off. i'll give it a whirl again. i'm not looking for squeaky clean, just don't want a black engine either! not sure how such low mileage engine gets that dirty in the first place, but whatever.

project scott? i don't say, it usually gets responses like "buy something else" or "you're dumb" or whatever people say when they think everyone else has to be, think and make decisions like they do. it's the opposite of what most people care about, so it's not that interesting. slower, FWD...bring it on!

My 2.5 looks like it just came out of a box. I treat it at the car wash ( my cleaners), then let the high pressure do its magic.

#9 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,515 posts
  • USA

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

what do you guys do?

I place a large pan under the engine and go at it with kerosine and a brush. Drip "dry". Finish with compressed air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users