Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 Brat Owners - Mirror Mount and Accelerator Pedal Questions

Hey fellas. What kind of hardware is used to mount the side view mirrors on the Gen 1 Brat? I'm trying to get my '79 ready for the state inspection, since I bought it outta state. And I gotta get at least the left mirror on I figure. If you've got a picture, that'd be grand. Looks almost like sheet metal screws would hold it on, but it must be nutted on the other side? I can't figure it.

While I'm posting, if anyone has an extra right mirror, I'd love to take it off your hands.

And you know what? One more question. I just bought a used gas pedal for the brat, but when I went to install it tonight, I realized that the floor board mounts for it were rusted and broke, making the pedal too flimsy to use on the lever. It just slides right off. Does anybody have a recommendation for an aftermarket pedal that will attach to the lever?

As always I appreciate your help very much!

Crabman

Two phillips head screws are all that hold my factory mounted mirrors on. As for the gas pedal, I have not seen anybody using aftermarket ones. When they break off you usually are just left with using the metal arm to use. Or find a replacement and re-rivet it to the floor.

Hey Subieguy and Todd!

Todd - Thanks for the stuff again. I wouldn't say that my floor is 'all rusted out' where the pedal goes. But there is some rust and definitely enough to confuse me about how to mount the pedal. I had the distinct impression that there were two threaded studs that came up from the floor to mount the pedal, but it sounds like what I am looking at are the remnants of some broken rivets?

I will clean up the area and re-rivet as you advised. I don't know why rivets didn't occur to me before.

Thanks for the help Subieguy and Todd

Just 2 stainless steel screws. Use a course thread. That's all that Subaru used!!

Is the floor all rusted out where the pedal goes? If so...place some sheet metal in and re-rivet to that. Use larger rivets.

Todd

• 3 weeks later...