Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Engine dissassembly made easy

I can understand why the block itself melted, but where are the pistons? they're not made from aluminium?

it's actually quite sad, those engines are probably very common where you live, but a proper ea81 would fetch you over $200 here, just because we don't have as many. oh well. have fun :cool:

I can understand why the block itself melted, but where are the pistons? they're not made from aluminium?

it's actually quite sad, those engines are probably very common where you live, but a proper ea81 would fetch you over $200 here, just because we don't have as many. oh well. have fun :cool:

yes, pistons are aluminum....

And now he has clean aluminum and clean cast to take to the local scrap yard....

Done a few aluminum engine blocks and/or heads that way. Beats trying to get all of the bolts, plugs what have you out of them.

Just build a nice bon fire, get a 12 pack or two, sit back and enjoy......

Can't take it to the scrappers here thanks to the new laws- they won't take burned copper, aluminum, steel, anything. I guess lawmakers thought it was too easy on the citizens to enforce the existing laws on theft, and instead added more laws that cost everybody money- Without a fancy stripping rig, you can only sell copper wire with insulation, if it's been burned they can't take it. That mean what was once #2 copper is now dirty copper and about half the price. Same with aluminum. It sucks, especially since I have about ten pounds of copper from an old car wiring harness and some chunks of welding cable that I now will have to figure out how to get rid of.

Maybe I can use a press to stamp it into pennies or something........

(Kidding, I don't want any Feds coming after me!)

Can't take it to the scrappers here thanks to the new laws- they won't take burned copper, aluminum, steel, anything. I guess lawmakers thought it was too easy on the citizens to enforce the existing laws on theft, and instead added more laws that cost everybody money- Without a fancy stripping rig, you can only sell copper wire with insulation, if it's been burned they can't take it. That mean what was once #2 copper is now dirty copper and about half the price. Same with aluminum. It sucks, especially since I have about ten pounds of copper from an old car wiring harness and some chunks of welding cable that I now will have to figure out how to get rid of.

The law was passed because of all the crackheads ripping off and stripping anything they can get their hands on. Guard rails, park drinking fountains, you name it, the list goes on.

At least some of them have fried themselfs trying to steal power/phone cable :rolleyes:

You can send that copper to me!! Down here, crackheads take gutters off houses, and they will take anything, and I mean anythinthat could be recycled for cash. They'll even cut catalytic converters out of cars with battery powered sawsawz!! When are they going to have open season on these thieves?

Down here, crackheads take gutters off houses, and they will take anything, and I mean anythinthat could be recycled for cash. They'll even cut catalytic converters out of cars with battery powered sawsawz!! When are they going to have open season on these thieves?

They're doing the same here in California, anything that can be taken off has been, from construction sites to Federal Land stuff, anything and everything is being taken. I, personally, cannot wait for the season to open so we can stop them in their tracks.

Scott,

What do you think of this idea?

Offer a deal on lift kits where all the aluminum parts are made entirely from recycled Subaru components.

I bet someone out there would think that was a cool thng to have.

Just thinking.

Rollie

Scott, I have some EA82T pistons and block halves all cleaned up and ready to be melted if your interested in them.