Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ18 Imp, swap to EJ22/25?

Phizinza

Ok, yes, its another one of these stupid questions where there is probably an answer on this forum or somewhere else I cannot find...

Just say there was a 96 EJ18 sedan Imp. What would have to change to put a EJ22/25 (and or SOHC/DOHC?) motor into it? Would it need a rewire? Or just a new computer and new engine?

So, is the OBDII wiring in any Imp the same? Or does it change depending on what motor is in the car?

yes, lots of info on here. EJ22 will essentially drop right in, the EJ18 manifold will bolt right to it.

EJ18 - usually have EGR, EJ22 is hit or miss

no need to swap computers

no wiring work really

EJ18 has dual port heads, EJ22 post 1995 will not have dual port heads.

pay attention to OBDI verses OBDII stuff, not sure your country specifics.

For that matter i'm not sure other things here may differ as well.

For the EJ25 you'll want to use an entire EJ25 as the EJ22 and EJ18 manifolds don't bolt up to it. you would need to swap the EJ18 or EJ22 wiring harness onto the EJ25. most EJ18's don't have a knock sensor which the EJ22's and EJ25's tend to have. guess you just won't hook it up.

Thanks heaps for your imput. So the EJ18 to 22 is probably an easy swap.

Another question, will EJ18/22 intake and or exhaust manifolds bolt to DOHC EJ20/25 heads? I assume not.

Oh, and does anyone know how to pick OBDI or II just at looking under the hood/dash of the car?

Lol, and another question. Was there such thing as a 8 valve EJ20 SOHC? And how many valves did the EJ18's have? I assume the EJ22's always had 16 valves? EDIT: I think I just found out there was never a 8 valve EJ..

Another question, will EJ18/22 intake and or exhaust manifolds bolt to DOHC EJ20/25
For the EJ25 you'll want to use an entire EJ25 as the EJ22 and EJ18 manifolds don't bolt up to it.
i do not know about the EJ20 but EJ18 and EJ22 intake manifolds will not bolt up to the EJ25 (none - SOHC or DOHC). as a last resort you could swap the EJ25 intake manifold wiring harness onto the EJ22 intake manifold. i believe the injectors are even interchangeable but i've never done it.

exhaust is easy to deal with, no electronics. EJ22 dual port head exhaust bolts up to EJ25 (1995 and earlier EJ22's have dual port heads, 1996+ have single port and do not bolt up). EJ18's are dual port and i'm guessing they bolt right up. either way it doesn't matter, the exhaust manifolds are easily exchangeable between them all. but you might be in a pickle for an easy swap this way...because dual port heads are older and might be OBDI verses your 96 which may be OBDII...but that is all speculation on my part. something to look into. don't know how to tell the difference accept to say that OBDII you can plug in and use the OBDII scan gauge, OBDI you can not.

if this was my project i'd install an EJ22 with a turbo. they are good for mild boost, will get you more horsepower, cheaper, easier install, and even better yet no head gaskets to deal with like on the EJ25.

Thanks again man.

Looks like if I do get a EJ18 Imp I will be putting an import EJ22 block in and then maybe turbo it later on. I'm 99% sure the Imp RX (don't know if the US got those) has the same motor as the EJ18/22 only in 2litre format.

Cheers for the help again, and we'll see how it goes with getting an Imp.

Sorry to bring this back up...

Can you bolt EJ22 heads to a EJ25 block? That was my understanding that you could.

And if so, would the EJ22 ECU not like it at all, run rough, run ok but not at high revs, etc?

I'm thinking about getting LPG injection, dyno tuned, so I'll be running on that a lot more then petrol. That means if it doesn't run right on petrol it wouldn't matter so much as the LPG will run good and thats what I'll be using most of the time (expect long trips through the Australian outback. So I guess it needs to run reasonably ok.)