Ultimate Subaru Message Board

camshaft sprocket alignment for timing belt change

So I'm in the middle of changing my belts in my DL wagon with an EA82 SPFI engine, when I notice that the chiltons manual says to have both dots(holes) on the camshaft sprockets facing straight up, at the same time when reinstalling the belts. According to this post the manual I have is wrong. Also I remember that when I took off my drivers side cylinder head the hole on the sprocket was pointing outward, exactly 90 degrees, while the passenger side was straight up. All this while the car was at TDC with the distributor pointing at cylinder #1. My question is this:

1) Should I reinstall the way the belts came out? Belts never snapped, but I've always felt the car was a bit sluggish, possibly because the cams were 90 degrees out of phase instead of 180 degrees?

Or

2) Install everything according to the instructions on the post and trash the chiltons manual for almost making me do the job twice:mad:

The post you linked looks correct. You must rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees before installing the second belt. That is the key bit that those who are new to subarus often miss. Also, use the center line of the 3 lines on the flywheel, not the timing marks with degrees marked on them.

If one timing mark is up the other must be down. Anything else, and the timing is wrong. And that would make it run crummy.