Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Noise in 1995 Legay 5spd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 homebrewz

homebrewz

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Howes Cave

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hello,

I was looking at a 95 legacy wagon recently, 5spd. It had all the quirks you would expect with a car that old and about 140kmi. However, when driving, the transmission sounded pretty much like an old 79 Jeep pickup I used to drive with a 4spd. Just sort of loud and truck-like. Also, when in certain gears, especially 2nd, if I moved the shifter the noise would change a bit.. kind of like something was tired and worn out, but I don't know enough about transmissions to know what.

Now, I would have bought this car if it wasn't for the noise. When I asked about it, he said his wife jammed it into gear once when it wouldn't go into gear and its made that noise ever since. The owner thought there may be a chipped tooth on the main wheel. Theye replaced the clutch maybe around 100k... kind of early for a clutch. Maybe they were hoping to noise would go away...

My question(s) are: Is this somewhat normal for an older Subaru transmission? I had an '83 sedan for a while and I remember having a hard time shifting sometimes. If I pick up this car, would I probably be looking at a transmission replacement later (or sooner) or would I just have to live with the noise?

Thanks very much!
Bernie N.

(New to this board.. thanks in advance!)

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,633 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

Bernie,

Not sure if you got your question answered somewhere else. The transmissions do have a little more noise then some other manufacturers, but the noise shouldn't be too loud. The fact that it changes when you move the shifter would probably indicate to me something internally might be messed up, and yeah you may need a replacement at some time.

Hello,

I was looking at a 95 legacy wagon recently, 5spd. It had all the quirks you would expect with a car that old and about 140kmi. However, when driving, the transmission sounded pretty much like an old 79 Jeep pickup I used to drive with a 4spd. Just sort of loud and truck-like. Also, when in certain gears, especially 2nd, if I moved the shifter the noise would change a bit.. kind of like something was tired and worn out, but I don't know enough about transmissions to know what.

Now, I would have bought this car if it wasn't for the noise. When I asked about it, he said his wife jammed it into gear once when it wouldn't go into gear and its made that noise ever since. The owner thought there may be a chipped tooth on the main wheel. Theye replaced the clutch maybe around 100k... kind of early for a clutch. Maybe they were hoping to noise would go away...

My question(s) are: Is this somewhat normal for an older Subaru transmission? I had an '83 sedan for a while and I remember having a hard time shifting sometimes. If I pick up this car, would I probably be looking at a transmission replacement later (or sooner) or would I just have to live with the noise?

Thanks very much!
Bernie N.

(New to this board.. thanks in advance!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users