Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best way to free up caliper sliders?

It all started as a "While I am at it..." project. While putting in new struts I decided to do the brakes. I had a shimmy in the front and the rotors were only worn in the center third. The brakes were a bit spongy too.

OK got new rotors and real Subaru pads. But 3 of the sliders on the calipers are frozen. The auto parts store does not carry replacements except for Honda etc.

Ideas or just get new ones from a dealer? If I have nothing to lose I will hit them with a mallet but if they stuck once they could stick again.

Ideas or just get new ones from a dealer?

The sliders come in two varieties:

1) stainless steel

2) chrome plated iron

You can free up the stainless ones, but the chrome plated ones rust, and once rusted, will rust again in short order.

So, the iron ones you replace with new, the stainless ones you clean and free up, in either case you use high temp brake grease (I cheat and use never-seize).

Hi. Often they seem frozen just because the old grease has cooked and become hardened. If there wasn't enough grease in there, or the boots weren't sealing properly etc, then any water that gets in there promptly rusts them in place.

So I'd start by getting the old guide and lock pins out and see what they look like.

btw, what year vehicle is this on? Earlier legacies/outback used a little different setup than say ~2000+.

Here's a diagram just for reference; this is from a '96 legacy:

front-caliper-96.gif

To free up the slider pins (and you must get the old ones out to either clean them up or replace them, or you'll need to replace the caliper as well as get new pins), use PB Blaster or WD40 or similar and give them a good soaking. Try rapping them out over the open jaws of a vice (set open enough to permit the pin to go through the jaws, but closed enough to support the caliper casting. Obviously the caliper will have to be removed from the car, and be careful not to shatter the casting of the caliper or deform the pin's shape. You might be able to turn them out using a pair of vice grips, being carefull not to score the pin's sliding section. Once out clean the pins on a bench grinder with a wire wheel. More WD40 in the pin bore of the caliper with 0000 steel wool, and depending on the amount of corrosion damage, you might be able to reuse everything. Obviously, if in doubt, don't reuse anything. Buy new or remanufactured calipers. When reinstalling the pins, use liberal amounts of silicone grease/high temp grease for this use/anti-seize compound. Then get on a twice yearly DIY brake cleanup and relube to prevent the issue in future. Good Luck!

My sliders are similar to the picture except they are two piston 98 GT brakes.

Only one out of the four sliders moves freely. The bolts are in good shape. The caliper solidly rests on a flat surface and moves on that. I tried the vice, vice grips and a giant pipe wrench to at least break them loose.

Not happening. The brackets are only at parts stores sold with packed rebuilt calipers. My calipers are fine. I bought new OEM brake pads.

I wonder what new brackets cost?