Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

how old is this carburetor?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:26 AM

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=81436

Thats a thread about a bunch of parts I was trying to identify, one of which was a carburetor. 2-barrel hitachi, looks to be a manual choke but thats pushing the limits of my general knowledge of downdraft carbs.

Here are a few pictures:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here I quote something moosens told me in PM, suggesting its a carb for a 70s OHV motor:

Originally Posted by moosens
looks to be early 70's ONLY it's NOT 360 and it's NOT '74 and later....so it works for me and about 2 other people in the USA.

Actually,I had kind of overlooked it and Todd "Subaru3" was on the phone with me and on the USMB at the same time and caught it. He pointed out a few things like the placement of where the accelerator pump goes and manual choke,etc.

As usual,he's right.Definitely early 70's after the 360 and before the '74 emmisions.But,the 1100 is different.This is for the 1300 and early 1400(mine),

Whats the story? A few others say in the thread I linked to that its an EA81 carb, and some say its an older carb. Obviously I will measure the dimensions of the stud holes, and check them against what tomrhere provided me as a comparison between the EA81 and 82 manifolds (I highly doubt its an EA82 carb simply from the date of acquisition of these parts)

Morning,

Stuff was more buried than I thought, didn't locate EA-82 manifold,yet. But the EA-81 manifold measures roughly 1-11/16" X 2-3/4" for bolt spacing at carb. I know the EA-82 spacing is wider by about a 1/2", http://s29.photobuck...82Manifold2.jpg . That'll show difference over all of the carb mount area. EA-82 manifold is the bottom one.

Tom

So anyhow, measurements from the carbs moosens mentioned would be appreciated. Bolt spacing, or even bore diameters.. When I get to the shop to investigate Monday or Tuesday, I may be able to find a part number.

Thanks in Advance!

#2 kiwi subbie

kiwi subbie

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:30 AM

um im not sure but thats looks like the carb ive got on my 74 1400. i dnont think we got as much emissions stuff on our cars back then?
:burnout:

#3 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=81436

Posted Image

Whats the story? A few others say in the thread I linked to that its an EA81 carb, and some say its an older carb. Obviously I will measure the dimensions of the stud holes, and check them against what tomrhere provided me as a comparison between the EA81 and 82 manifolds (I highly doubt its an EA82 carb simply from the date of acquisition of these parts)

It's not an EA81 carb; those all had electric choke and fuel cut solenoid. It dose not have the stud for the air cleaner cover hold-down. It dose not have the right throttle linkage either.

It's probably not a 78/79 EA71 either. IIRC those had electric choke too.

#4 Kostamojen

Kostamojen

From FF-1 to BRZ!

• Members
  • 1,692 posts
  • Roseville, CA

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

Have a part number?

#5 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:39 AM

Have a part number?

Maybe. :lol:

If I do, its up at the shop, with the carb, and all the other parts. I did NOT even take a picture of the box, though.. most of the parts posted in my photbucket album, I HAVE pictures of the boxes and part #s.. but the numbers were too blurry to read. Looking back thru all my pictures, I don't SEE the carb box anywhere.. so I might have a number, I might not.

Hopefully Monday or Tuesday I can get in touch with someone and get up there to get better photos. In the meantime, I am guessing that moosens and subaru3 are probably right.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Definately not EA81. I know them well. :dead:

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users