Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please HELP!!

cd45

I have replaced all the gaskets in the carb, and under the carb, even the adapter plate. I did what you guys told me to do, I put JB Weld in the coolant hole in the intake manifold. I let it set for 24 hours after I reinstalled the adapter plate and carb. After I got in from work today, went out and started it up, drove it around the block, no smoke. After I pulled back in the drive, it started smoking to beat the band. I am at a loss. I will pull the carb and adapter off tomorrow. If it does not leak, could it be the intake manifold gaskets? I ordered a new set today, just in case. They are easy to replace anyway, and only $3 a set. According tho the Haynes manual, the manifold gaskets could be part of the problem. I just can't figure out why it waits until it gets completely warmed up. It never smokes until the cooling fan comes on. Please help, I am lost.

P.S. The smoke is not from the oil, I know what that smells like, and this is not that smell.

I just can't figure out why it waits until it gets completely warmed up. It never smokes until the cooling fan comes on. Please help, I am lost.

The heat makes the engine & manifold expand. The engine & manifold are likely at slightly different temperatures. Changes the stress & pressure on the gaskets. The temperature has to get up high enough to raise the pressure of the cooling system before it leaks enough to notice. Old crummy gaskets might not flex enough to keep sealed.