Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turn signal Q's

couple things....

my left turn signal has been acting strange lately. drawing a lot of power (volt meter jumps back and forth from the normal ~13v down to less than 10 while it's on), and the front light itself hasn't been working. I figured it was something up under the dash, and didn't want to deal with it.

anyway, I was driving home from the bank today, and I flipped it on, and it didn't work, and my radio turned off. ok, well, duh, fuse.....done that before. yesterday I had just tapped into the right side wire (lost it in the swap :lol: ) in the dash, but hadn't hooked it up to the light itself. so I figured that's what was shorting and blowing the fuse. I taped up the end of that, and put a new fuse in it. I turned the ign on, hit the turn signals, and it did the same thing, and blew the fuse again.

anyway, I figured it most be something with the left side....so I decided to pull the light out of the bumper. I found that the power wire was touching the metal outer edge of the fixture, and had rubbed through the insulation. so I pulled it away, put some electrical tape, and just like that, it works again. on the hazards......

now the turn signals don't work, but the hazards do. I think the only variable there is the switch itself.....possible I fried the switch? other ideas? I don't want to pull things apart and replace the switch in the column to have it not help....

question 2. when I was doing the engine swap last summer, I had the engine crossmember and steering rack out of the car. and my buddy said something along the lines of, "I've always wondered if the steering lock was in the column or the rack". and proceeded to grab the steering wheel, and give it a good hard spin. and it spun easily 20 times or more.....

well, now my turn signal sensor thingymabober (technical term) isn't centered. so they turn themselves off at the weirdest times. would it be possible to pull the steering wheel off, and the combination switch, and recenter it?

well....figured out the one thing. turns out the turn signals themselves have a seperate fuse....

I was working tonight, and noticed that my windows didn't work. got back to the store, whipped out the Chilton's manual (yes...I carry it with me...), studied the diagrams, and sure enough.

so I replaced that fuse, and now the turn signals work properly.

still wondering how to recenter them though. maybe I'll just pull the steering wheel off and see if I can't figure it out....

The turn signal switch itself is at fault here. One of the cancelation ears has broken off or is otherwise misaligned. I don't think you'll be able to repair it without replacing it.

I haven't seen the subaru switch, but I have had one or two apart on other cars and thought there might be a good chance of this. I should have mentioned it, because its another reason to go to a junkyard and look at what is (hopefully) a proper functioning unit first, to help you recognize anything that may be functionally wrong on yours.

Good luck, whatever you do.

The turn signal switch itself is at fault here. One of the cancelation ears has broken off or is otherwise misaligned. I don't think you'll be able to repair it without replacing it.

damn....I was hoping that it wasn't something like that. it doesn't appear to have anything missing, as it works like it should both directions, just at the wrong places in the wheel's rotation.....

Is your steering wheel centered when the front tires are pointing straight ahead? If not, there lies the problem and you need to re-clock steering wheel. You can't change where the turnsignal cancels otherwise. Switch has 2 arms that sit close to steering wheel, wheel has a piece that hits those arms when switch is in the turn position and moves switch back to off position.

Is your steering wheel centered when the front tires are pointing straight ahead? If not, there lies the problem and you need to re-clock steering wheel. You can't change where the turnsignal cancels otherwise. Switch has 2 arms that sit close to steering wheel, wheel has a piece that hits those arms when switch is in the turn position and moves switch back to off position.

no, it's not....I was putting off re-clocking it until I knew how to fix the turn signals while I was in there....maybe they'll fix themselves :banana: