Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Phase 2 EJ25 into Phase 1 EJ25 Outback?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pooparu

Pooparu

way too obsessed

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

How easy would it be to swap in a Phase 2 EJ25 into my 1998 Outback? Would I need to re-wire the whole thing or could I just use my intake manifold from my phase 1 on the phase 2 block and heads?

Just something I was thinking about when my head gaskets go.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,835 posts
  • WV

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

swap away i believe, someone should pipe in an clarify. all my EJ25's lying around are Phase I i believe.

#3 suberdave

suberdave

www.suberdave.com

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Covington

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

im not an expert on EJ's but from what i have read, they should be the same. the big differance is the phase II block has 6 bolts and the phase I only has 4.

not to worrie though. just leave two of the bolts out, the other four fit just the same.

as long as the intake bolts up (witch i beleave it will) it should be just fine...

-=Suberdave=-
www.suberdave.com

#4 Pooparu

Pooparu

way too obsessed

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:20 PM

im not an expert on EJ's but from what i have read, they should be the same. the big differance is the phase II block has 6 bolts and the phase I only has 4.

not to worrie though. just leave two of the bolts out, the other four fit just the same.

as long as the intake bolts up (witch i beleave it will) it should be just fine...

-=Suberdave=-
www.suberdave.com

The other difference also being that phase I in DOHC and phase II is a SOHC, right? (the head gasket problem was fixed on the phase II)

#5 suberdave

suberdave

www.suberdave.com

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Covington

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

yeah but the intake bolts right up. so i dont see that being a problem. i know some legeay guys take and put DOHC heads on the EJ22t

-=Suberdave=-
www.suberdave.com

#6 Pooparu

Pooparu

way too obsessed

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

I've also heard of guys putting ej22 heads on ej25 blocks to get higher compression.

#7 Storm

Storm

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NEOhio

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:09 PM

The EJ25D intake manifold won't bolt up to the EJ22 heads, but a EJ253 (SOHC type) will bolt to it. The exhaust manifold is different as well (singleport on the EJ22). You can transfer the engine harness to the EJ22 and get away with changing a few sensor plugs to match newer stuff or rig up slightly different mounting methods (mainly the coil, TPS, IAC) and you might have to extend the cam sensor wires a little since the SOHC puts it in a different spot.

Check the crank timing gear for the same number of teeth, as phase I and II can be different depending on the year.....use the one that goes with your ECU.

Take care of those little things and know that you'll have an EGR code....it'll run just fine.

Jay Storm

#8 Pooparu

Pooparu

way too obsessed

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

The EJ25D intake manifold won't bolt up to the EJ22 heads, but a EJ253 (SOHC type) will bolt to it. The exhaust manifold is different as well (singleport on the EJ22). You can transfer the engine harness to the EJ22 and get away with changing a few sensor plugs to match newer stuff or rig up slightly different mounting methods (mainly the coil, TPS, IAC) and you might have to extend the cam sensor wires a little since the SOHC puts it in a different spot.

Check the crank timing gear for the same number of teeth, as phase I and II can be different depending on the year.....use the one that goes with your ECU.

Take care of those little things and know that you'll have an EGR code....it'll run just fine.

Jay Storm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users