Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks, I'll check the selenoid connections and such. So the code is tripped by the selenoid function(or not)? Interpretation of the codes takes a whole new understanding....I can't help but think it has something to do with the amount of fuel that the canister absorbed. Does this make sense?

Yes, I do the carving. It is done directly in the soundboard, so no mistakes or if you do, you have to hide them if you can... The rosette in the photo is gold leafed (not usual). I specialize in renaissance and baroque lute and harp making. They are highly engineered delicate instruments. I also enjoy working on vintage guitars.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I actually do a bit of mandolin work. The last mandolin job was rebuilding a 1895 Vinaccia... There is a Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra that is over 100 years old. I've done a bit of archtop mando work, too. Most memorable was a Lloyd Loar F5.

I am an incurable do-it-yourselfer which gets me into everything from musical instruments, computers, vacuum tube audio, diaper dadding AND Subaru work!!! ( to name a few...)

Thanks, I'll check the selenoid connections and such. So the code is tripped by the selenoid function(or not)?[...]
With the P0441 code, I was thinking more in the way of loose/damaged tubing going to the valve, not electrical problems. (P0443 would be one that signifies an electrical disconnection to the solenoid.) It's probably worth a quick peek under the manifold.

Yes, I do the carving. It is done directly in the soundboard, so no mistakes or if you do, you have to hide them if you can... The rosette in the photo is gold leafed (not usual). I specialize in renaissance and baroque lute and harp making. They are highly engineered delicate instruments. I also enjoy working on vintage guitars.
So the soundhole carving isn't an insert - impressive! I do own a couple of classical guitars, but they wouldn't be considered "vintage" (yet ;) ).

After replacing the head gaskets on same year and engine, mine would turn over, but not even try to start. I took off the timing belt covers to check the timing marks and the crank was off. I had lined up the arrow on the gear, when it should be the dashed line on the reluctor ring on the back edge of the crank gear. It should be pointing pretty much straight up(at the crank sensor). After correcting that, it started right up first time.

A code P0441 on other vehicles means the same thing, and in particular on Toyota's it often indicates a loose gas cap or faulty gas cap seal. The first thing I do when I see a P0441 or P0446 on a Toyota is check the gas cap. Might want to check the gas cap tightness since it's a real quick thing. I don't recommend replacing it unless the seal is obviously bad. You can wipe a real fine amount of grease on the seal (after wiping dirt off) to see if that helps make a better seal. It could also be a loose, torn, or incorrectly installed vacuum line, or a bad canister as you suggest. If it were my car, I'd check the gas cap, check the vacuum lines, and let it go for a little while and see if it goes away. My search of P0441 on this site didn't reveal much, but a google does reveal the gas cap issues among other things.

Yup, it was a vacuum line off...

Well, I think that's it! This thread can be officially closed.

Again a BIG thanks to all who helped. I hate to let the Loyale go, it has many more miles in it (with a little work). I will post it in the forsale section. I have many parts that I should post, too... Hopefully, someone can use them.

Yup, it was a vacuum line off...

Well, I think that's it! This thread can be officially closed.

Disconnected tubing going to the EVAP purge control valve is a common cause of P0441 (especially after work in the area). It's good that it was a simple problem after all the rest. :clap: