Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Datsun B210 solid axle into Sooby?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I didn't know where else to place it. I was at the JY today and noticed a B210 with a small straight axle. Wasn't the B210 very similar to the 510 and if so might it use a 3.90 ratio? Just curious if anyone had ever used this particular diff in the back of a Subaru. I'm still a long ways off from solid axling my Brat so I'm not going to bother with it this time.

Wasn't the B210 very similar to the 510

The B210 was a smaller, cheaper, car with a smaller motor, typically a pushrod 1200cc (it was the "entry level car"). The same motor found in many Datsun/Nissan lift trucks.

If I remember correctly the rear end ratio was 4:10.

I can't recall even seeing a B210 for 20 years, likely when the number naming system died @ Datsun/Nissan, it just morphed into something else.

I drove Toyotas at the time (rolly Corollies), where there was a stripped down version of the Corolla (plain interior, small engine, no options), that was their entry level car.

There is a write up here:

http://wiki.datsun1200.com/index.php?title=Rear_Axle_Swaps

Down near the bottom of the page:

B210 - 1974 3.90 (north american) (other years are different)

Datsun Competition (later Nismo) used to sell various ratios: 3.545, 3.7, 3.9, 4.111.

Datsun 1200 rear axle assembly width is 1305 mm drum to drum.

The H145 diff has a maximum torque capacity of 100ft/lbs

B-210. Think Sentra.

I have always called them Maxima, Medima, and Minima, honestly.... 810, 510, 210. Maxima, Stanza, Sentra... the 200SX and 240SX fit in with the 210/sentra and 510/stanza/altima, while the 810/maxima always shared the engine of its contemporary Zcar.

If you're looking at solid rear axles, think japanese truck. Stronger. Possibly RX-7, too.. THAT might net you an LSD, but I know nothing definite about that.

And yah, the 210s were ugly... its a face that only a mother could love. 45 MPG cant be argued with, though; not in 1972, and not now.