Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Electrical problem, relay?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jrgaylor

jrgaylor

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • tenino,wa

Posted 12 December 2003 - 08:54 PM

I have just bought a 87 wagon and it is blowing the 15 amp meter/engine fuse, is there a relay here? where should I begin my search for the short?
Joe

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:09 PM

I have a manual for an '88 Joe that may be close to the same as yours. It would help to know the number of the fuse you are having trouble with. Do you know what is not working when the fuse is blown? You should look at the things that don't work. You could isolate them and see if the fuse blows when they are not connected. If the fuse is ok then start adding things back on line.

#3 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 13 December 2003 - 09:57 AM

Glen is right on. This fuse runs the ECU, ignition relay , fuel pump relay, EGR soleniod, this is for the MPFI model,
you don't say if it's is carbed, SPFI, MPFI, or a turbo...sorry but it does make a difference.

#4 jrgaylor

jrgaylor

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • tenino,wa

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:12 PM

I lose the instrument panel gauges and dummy lights and it appears that the engine will not idle,when the fuse is blown. but it does run and it is carb'ed.
Thanks Joe

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 13 December 2003 - 02:29 PM

Your fuses should be numbered Joe. Can you tell me what the number is you are having trouble with. As a guess, it looks like it may be 11 or 12. These fuses supply power to a lot of places and you may need to purchase a service manual to track this down.

Another thought would be to see if there is any added equipment to this car. Something like a stereo or trailer hitch that is not a standard option from the factory. These can be sources of trouble when installed poorly.

#6 jrgaylor

jrgaylor

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • tenino,wa

Posted 13 December 2003 - 06:16 PM

I counted the fuses from top to bottom left to right and it is number 12, I bought a Chilton's manual today but it does have a very detailed wiring diagrams, and not for this for this cicuit. The wagon does not appear to have any thing added to it, but it is missing the radio and going to be going out in a minute with test light and meter in hand and see what I can find out. If you have a detailed wiring diagram that shows the wiring circuit for the dash gauges, can you scan and send me copy? I think that is close to were the problem is.
Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users