Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody interested in Grimmspeed EA parts?

you may or may not have heard of Grimmspeed....they've become pretty well known in the new-gen crowd lately, growing insanely fast. I've seen group buys and build threads by them on every new-gen specific forum I've been on lately. search around, or just check out their website here: http://www.grimmspeed.com

well, I happen to know the guy who started it pretty well, Justin Grimm. he's a long time member of MNSubaru, and I just did the wiring for their "Team Grimmspeed" Car, known as their Project L. it's a '96 impreza LX Sedan with full '05 WRX drivetrain and interior swap. and he's gotten sponsors for pretty much every part on the car that they don't make their own, everything from bushings, to adjustable suspension arms, to coilovers, to a full vinyl wrap for the car.

anyway, they've become known a bit for doing some new and interesting products, specific for older cars (EJ-series of course, but phase I, and N/A stuff! not just WRX parts).

They do small runs of parts anyway, no real need for a run of many thousands of parts to justify doing it. so I was thinking, while I'm hanging around the shop this weekend, consulting him about doing some EA stuff.

sooooo.......those of you interested in taking your EA builds to the next level. most likely EA82t.....but not necessarily.....check out their site, and see if there's anything you like.

I'm sure porting/polishing and ceramic coating of the stock EA82t headers/up-pipe would be easy, but how about things like phenolic spacers?

let me know, and I'll put in a good word if there's interest :)

What would it take to prevent the passenger side of the engine from EVER "starving" of coolant before the driver side???

how hard would it be to make a kit, for a mod, to install head studs, possibly by drilling the holes out and using a larger thread??

Coolant flow and air flow really seem to be the two chief limitations on the 1800 blocks, of course I am only familiar firsthand with the OHC but from what I gather the EA81 is not that far off.

Personally, I would also tend to try thinking in terms of mods that could be made applicable to both.. but those two random ideas are all I have right now.

SS headers and downpipes with the factory turbo flanges or EJ-IHI turbo style flanges.

Stainless braded brake line sets.

Tune up kits (plugs, wires, filters, etc)

Ditto!!

I think SS Braided Lines would be a hot seller to USMB members (tune-up kits may sell well too)

This is a good idea, thanks for doing the footwork!

Braided lines would be nice for off-road use. (and on road, I'm just thinking of the snag protection)

OK, I did get a chance to talk to him this weekend.

they don't have the equipment (yet?) to do braided lines. but I think there are already suppliers for those (I had a set on one of my lifted wagons...).

we discussed intake mani stuff, but I had forgotten that the coolant circulates through the mani before I posted this. so just a phenolic spacer wouldn't be adequate. and they don't have the equipment to be machining blocks to divert it (again....yet?). but if/when that happens, a setup compatible with both the EA81 and SPFI/Carb EA82 will be pretty soon behind it.

we are going to look into EA82t-specific piping (specifically an up-pipe...but they can probably do header work too). so I may be asking for some donor stock parts to take measurements on etc.

I also got offered a job :banana:

too bad I live 3 hours away :dead:

but it may justify a change in location.....who knows.

OK, I did get a chance to talk to him this weekend.

they don't have the equipment (yet?) to do braided lines. but I think there are already suppliers for those (I had a set on one of my lifted wagons...).

Ya know I though I did see them for sale for EA81s somewhere before. :)

I'll have to look some more as I'm getting in need of new lines.

• 8 years later...