Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear wheel bearings HELP!!!!!

:banghead: I am going nuts. I have replaced drive line cvs(both sides) wheel bearings breaks all on the rear of my 89 DL. Now the dang right rear wheel is clackin again like a cv would when they go bad. The cv dont get warm but the spindle does. So I take out the bearings and replace them good deal nope it still does it. Question how do you change the dang things without breaking the cheap plastic cage for the needle bearings? I think thats what happend any how is that it must have broke while instaling. The spindle still gets warm. Any ideas or help will be appriciated as this will be my third time in a month of replacing this dang thing:-\

Hhhmmm - well first thing is buy SOA wheel bearings just to make sure your getting quality stuff - maybe your local parts place has cheap bearings or something - after the third time I wouldn't mess around is all. Replace the races too. Next they must be packed properly.... do you know how to pack bearings? If not have someone show you, or get a bearing packing tool. And lastly is to make sure you get the proper torque on them - not sure what that is for your car, but any manual should tell you...

As for CV's, try http://www.cvaxles.com - they seem to have a good reputation among board members here.

GD

Are you driving bearings into hub on a bench, or trying to do it in the car....?

If you don't have all the proper tools, I suggest pulling the swing arm/Hub, and Doing it on a Bench.......if you have an extra Set of hands to help you, get it in a good large vise, and Gentle press the whole assembly in at once.....

then set hub on brake drum as it should normaly rest, and Drive in the stub axle.......this will work best if the drum is sitting on top of the wheel so that stub goes all the way home......

Are you gettin the back side nut tightened down all the way....? Are you using the nut socket back there....?

Back Bearings are a pain......once you get them right, they should last another 150,000 or more miles.......

Hope this helps,

John

I have been taking the whole axle out swing arm cv all at once then take it apart and put the new race in the swing arm and then the bearings on the spindle. Yes I do know how to pack them and I had enouph gease in there that alot of sqwished out when it was put back together. I do work on a bench easier that way. Who or what is SOA?Thanks for the link on the cvs good info.Does any one make these things with the brass cage or are they all plastic?

Im about to just get a hole assy from the reckin yard to save money. Torq the castle nut to 145 thats what Chiltons said. At 65$ a pop it is gettin expencive.