Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As the title says, this is a pretty basic question.

I have a 2000 Forester S with a little over 30k miles. I always try to change the oil every three months, but in the last few years I've had difficulty doing that for various reasons. It's been more like every 5 or 6 months. On the other hand, I am hardly driving the car right now. If I put 100 miles on the Subie a month that would be a lot.

I know tht oil breaks down even when a car isn't being driven, but am I shortening the life of the engine significantly by extending the oil change intervals. Btw, I live in the Northeast U.S. if that makes a difference in the matter. (cold w/second snowstorm coming this weekend they say) At least the car is garaged.

photo2001 :-)

I'm with applegump, I've always felt that twice a year was the least frequent I'd ever go bewtween changes. Especially here where we have extremely hot summers. However, if this is going to be your regular pattern for a long time, you might consider changing to full synthetic and the best filter you can find (silicome anti-drain valve). I suppose 'extended drain interval' can be interpreted to mean time as well as mileage. You might post/search over at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

You might consider adding a gas dryer occasionally and trying to keep the tank over 1/2 full to reduce water condensation possibilities.

Originally posted by photo2001

Btw, I have only used the Subaru dealer for service since owning the Forester, so I assume they use the best oil for the season.

Thanks again!

They use the cheapest oil they can buy in quantity and charge you top dollar for it.

At least, every dealership I've ever been to does this. :boohoo:

You can bring your own oil and filters in.