Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a lead on a head from a jy in CO. Am looking into whether the part will be a match or not. Thanks for the tip!

Hoping for the best,

Brian

So that jy had a right head but it was bare of all its innards. If I get that, then I'll have to find the other parts (cams, shims, seals, etc) and have them machined to match, right? It sounds easiest to just find a used head that is complete.

So far, I've found two cars that are parting out and both have a bad right head. What's up with the right always going south?!

Still looking and taking the bus.http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

that legacy L you were looking at should have an EJ22, not an EJ25 like your car. although that is an easy swap, it drops right in, bolts right up and plugs right in.

keep looking you should be able to find a good head. try posting in the parts wanted forum here. i saw a motor with blown headgaskets really cheap not too long ago, i think it was on here. that would have been a perfect candidate.

the old head isn't repairable?

I'm not sure if this was corrected or not but the EJ22 is a NON INTERFERENCE engine.
wrong, edit your post please to keep other users from seeing that and "remembering it" in the future. this is very common and easy information:

EJ22 up to 1996 is non-interference

EJ22 1997+ is an inteference engine

• 1 month later...

New update - same old news. I found a complete right head on ebay. bought it for $45! Was really happy with the way it was turning out. My mechanic finally gathered all the seals to put it in and he couldn't get enough compression. I think he said it was reading 90 pounds. Normal is around 130 - 150 right? He doesn't know if there's a hairline crack in the new used head or if something else is wrong with it, but his thinking is he's done trying to make that engine work. His suggestion is to either dump the car or replace the engine.

btw - mechanic had a machine shop first look at the new head and verify it looked good. I had someone else eyeball it too. Nothing visible was seen. Also, the mechanic said they checked compression on both sides and made sure fuel was getting to both. It was.

I know I won't get anything for it if I sell as is. Just redid whole A/C system AND brakes. Would rather fix if I can for under $1500.

I know engines can be upwards of $2k but have seen a few online for 4-800. What's shipping like on one of those (2.5L DOHC automatic for 97 legacy).

Thanks,

Brian

You need to find yourself a 2.2L 96 ,97, 98, Those will bolt right into your car. There is a ton of info on this site on the subject. Call the bone yards there's one out there. If the engine turns out to be bad they'll usually replace it unlike that head you bought on ebay. I have a very low opinion of the 2.5L engine I've had 2 in the same car both ended the same way a overheated mess. Every 2.2L I've had has been a jewel, 2.2's rule!

So the head didn't work - like that's going to stop me from throwing money down this endless pit - muhahahaha..

I found some ej25 dohc engines on ebay for pretty cheap. all of them say they are used and imported from Japan with around 40k miles and come with a 6 month, unlimited mileage warranty. their feedback ratings are excellent and the shipping price isn't too bad.

anyone have concerns over using one of those engines? I'm not against the 2.2 idea, but I'm not doing this myself and am afraid my mechanic might not be up for a conversion if sensors and wires have to be tinkered with. I'll have a look at the instructions on the website and see how much is involved in case I decide to do the conversion.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Before you throw in the towel on the engine I would make sure that the timing belt was set up correctly on the head that is reading low. If the pressures are reading about the same for both cylinders on that side then my guess is the cam for the valves wasn't set correctly and could be a couple of teeth off.

If you do get a used engine here is a link to a site that seemed good to me.

http://www.jsamotors.com/ContactUs.aspx

Thanks, Cougar. I'll ask the mechanic to check the timing belt and the cam. If that's not it, then I think I'll be looking at a new engine. I checked the link you sent. They do ship to residential which is nice, but the cost is quite a bit higher: $1400 total cost vs. $900 from my source.

My mechanic had a question that maybe you folks can answer: do engines coming in from Japan have the same emissions set up or does that have to be tinkered with to make work in a US car. He cited previous problems with a Nissan using an imported engine.

Thanks.

i did a swap from a 2.5 to a 2.2 last winter and only had to move the accessories over.ie:alternator,a.c. ,oretty much the intake as well.it was very easy.the hardest part of all of it is the timing belt and that is simple as well.

have faith in your ability to read and you can conquer this project.quit paying someone else and you can save some money.it is literally a plug and play affair with a bunch of new gaskets.

on the other hand it does sound viable that the timing is simply off.cheers, brian

When in doubt with a JDM engine exchange, just swap out the long block. An EJ25 is an EJ25 wether it's JDM or USDM. Use your intake & exhaust, and it will be plug & play.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'd love to do this job myself, learn more about my car and save tons of money but there's just no time at the moment.

Brian