Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2. Pros and Cons of Dual Range VS AWD

After looking at the above posted pages, it seems to me that the 5spd impreza tranny would work, and is designed the same as the xt6 one. The only difference is there is a clutch pack where the 4wd locker once was, if a person was skilled enough (and had the time and machinery) they could theoreticaly replace the 4wd locker with a clutch pack and have real AWD. Am I right?

After looking at the above posted pages, it seems to me that the 5spd impreza tranny would work, and is designed the same as the xt6 one. The only difference is there is a clutch pack where the 4wd locker once was, if a person was skilled enough (and had the time and machinery) they could theoreticaly replace the 4wd locker with a clutch pack and have real AWD. Am I right?

with skills, a machine shop and money all things are possible.

nipper

define "right". throw $20k at a machine shop and they might think about something like this. but as a project that would actually happen, no.

I meant in theory only. If I really cared about a center LSD I'd just convert to EJ... heh.