Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, all. Some here with old gen subies may have read my posts in the other forum. Up until Saturday, I was the (not so) proud owner of an 83 GL sedan. Now I am the (emphatically) proud new owner of an '02 WRX Wagon. I've still got my '77 wagon, so I'm not nu-school exclusive. I look forward to meeting more of you and learning more about my car!

Josh

I posted in your thread over in Old gen..but I can here again.. New Gen Rocks :headbang: for DD !! Congrats on the new 02..pics????

Pics are coming soon. One of the reasons I got the car so darn cheap is the minor cosmetic damage it has. It seems the gal that owned it before me used her bumpers as feeler gauges when parking. Nothing major but its in the auto body shop right now having some work done. The shop's going to detail it for me when they're done, then - pictures!!!

BTW, I love the new 08 imps. I've heard a bunch of whiny pants sissy la las around here giving them grief, "They're too mainstream." Boo! Subaru has been selling in the mainstream for a long time and the newest gen cars are beautiful. Some of these guys are like music snobs that don't like a band after they make it big. Besides, 90% of the nay-saying is really just pure jealousy.

Thanks for the comments! I'm jealous of your car too but I'm not going to put it down!

Josh

Congrats! Welcome to the 21st century of motoring Subie style. I think you are really going to like the WRX wagon. Keep us posted on your thoughts about your 2002.

I could be mistaken but do I sense that you already have thoughts about the '02? If so, you don't have to worry about offending me and I'd rather know about all the potential bad in advance. Thanks for the welcome. It feels good in the 21st century driving seat. The heater works, the windows roll up and down, the car goes when I push the gas. Simply amazing.

How are the first impressions of the new car? As someone who has never driven an EA, I like to know what the old-gen people think when they finally make the switch.

As far as bad stuff about the 02s, I think the only real complaints I know of are the turbo lag on the 2.0 and that the transmissions tend to not to stand up to a whole lot of abuse, but I'm pretty sure thats mostly the NASIOC crowd with that particular problem.

I'm jealous.

Pics are definitely needed when you get the car back.

BTW, I love the new 08 imps. I've heard a bunch of whiny pants sissy la las around here giving them grief, "They're too mainstream." Boo! Subaru has been selling in the mainstream for a long time and the newest gen cars are beautiful. Some of these guys are like music snobs that don't like a band after they make it big. Besides, 90% of the nay-saying is really just pure jealousy.

Thanks for the comments! I'm jealous of your car too but I'm not going to put it down!

Josh

Thank You! Some of the very few kind words I got about my car.I say...dont knock it till you try it cause its a fantastic car...Its been a long time since I enjoyed driving...and want to drive..

Can't wait to see the pics..I had been thinking on going with a Bugeye before I got the deal on this one..I tell you what..compaired to the old stuff..well all I can say is Subaru is stepping it up.....Big Time.

Thank You! Some of the very few kind words I got about my car.I say...dont knock it till you try it cause its a fantastic car...Its been a long time since I enjoyed driving...and want to drive..

Can't wait to see the pics..I had been thinking on going with a Bugeye before I got the deal on this one..I tell you what..compaired to the old stuff..well all I can say is Subaru is stepping it up.....Big Time.

whats this!!!!!!! do see frekin window frames finally a subaru that doesnt leakin the carwash......im just kidin.......ive owened many ea81 and ea82 cars for years and loved them but my 05 legacy GT was a totaly different car than the early ones....but it wasnt that it felt much different siting and driving it...it still feels like a subaru...but with 325 at the wheels instead o like 68 dont have my 05 anymore but i drove bucky92 car and it sill hade that subaru feel .........just like my 232000 mile impreza thanks connie LOL

whats this!!!!!!! do see frekin window frames finally a subaru that doesnt leakin the carwash......im just kidin.......ive owened many ea81 and ea82 cars for years and loved them but my 05 legacy GT was a totaly different car than the early ones....but it wasnt that it felt much different siting and driving it...it still feels like a subaru...but with 325 at the wheels instead o like 68 dont have my 05 anymore but i drove bucky92 car and it sill hade that subaru feel .........just like my 232000 mile impreza thanks connie LOL

LMAO Rory... I love Lindas face when she brought my 08 back from the "test drive" ( Big Smile) And now that the roof rack rattle is fixed its even nicer to drive.

But its true..when you are actually sitting in and driving the new stuff...it still feels like a Subaru ..different configuration to the dash but the 08 still felt the same as that 93 232,000 mile Imp that you now have:grin: ..minus the shifter slop:-p . When I drove your 05 T wagon..besides the brown stain in me knickers and the configuration, once again, and the fact it was an AT..I had the feel of my Loyale... The XT6 takes alittle getting used to when swapping around rides..but ..well that thing is just wierd.

Maybe thats why its so easy to go straight from old school to new gen without any/many growing pains.

OH! and its nice not getting wet when going through the car wash cause of water leaking in the frameless windows..and no window rattle or wind noise either

How are the first impressions of the new car? As someone who has never driven an EA, I like to know what the old-gen people think when they finally make the switch.

As far as bad stuff about the 02s, I think the only real complaints I know of are the turbo lag on the 2.0 and that the transmissions tend to not to stand up to a whole lot of abuse, but I'm pretty sure thats mostly the NASIOC crowd with that particular problem.

I'm jealous.

Pics are definitely needed when you get the car back.

Well, the turbo lag sucks, especially with an AT. I'm working with a subaru-specific tuning shop here in Denver to get a little more oomph on take off. I'm not into street tuning a car to ridiculous boost levels but the AT's hesitate like 5 seconds on take off. I'm not looking at this from a "my car's faster than his off the line" mentality but rather that I do a lot of around town driving and the turbo lag in first doesn't allow the car the advantage to maneuver like it should with 227hp. Of course, I'm coming from a car with under 100hp, so I shouldn't complain. :lol:

Overall impression - so far, great. My "bug eye" is awefully quirky and doesn't have window frames, so the die-hards probably dig it. The ride is distinctly Subaru. The look and feel of the interior is Subaru refined. The auto-off headlights and parking lights on the steering wheel are definitely Subaru. It ticks like a Subaru and it's utilitarian like a subaru. I had the car not six hours and I picked up 5 8'x2"x2" framing studs and two sheets of 4'x8' drywall! God bless the factory roof rails!

but it wasnt that it felt much different siting and driving it...it still feels like a subaru...but with 325 at the wheels instead o like 68

Bingo.