Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where can I get Magnecors?

Guest rushsteve

Hi folks

I seem to have lost my links to good online parts vendors....

Anybody know where I can get Magnecor spark plug wire sets for a decent price? Or is there a better choice?

Thanks,

Steve

'90 Legacy 5 spd non turbo

Guest Commuter

Unless policies have changed, you'll pay full retail price if you buy direct. They do not want to undercut their distribution channels.

Compare prices, but cyberauto was the best I found. A considerable discount from list.

Commuter

Guest rushsteve

Thanks for the info folks, much appreciated. Will these be significantly better than a cheaper Subaru wire set? Is the higher price justified?

Steve

Guest Legacy777

don't expect to get more hp, or have a faster car by putting these wires on. You may notice the engine runs a little smoother, or a little extra grunt of power, but nothing huge.

It depends too on the condition of your old wires too. These wires will really never go bad. The boots might deteriorate, but the wires are 100% silicone. I've had mine for over 6 years.

Guest Commuter

Seconding what Josh has to say.

One buys Magnecor for longevity, and possibly if you are experiencing any interference issues with your car. The last I looked (and that's probably over a year ago now), Magnecor did not even recommend their 7 and 8mm wires for some Subaru's because they are known (in their opinion and experience) to be susceptible to EMI and such. In fact, when I got mine for my 97 OB, they came with their wire that they use especially for low noise. (CN-25 or something... I don't recall off hand.)

Everything I've come across indicates that the OEM wires from the dealer are quite good. It's up to you if you want to spend the extra. If you expect to have one more wire change on your car yet, then the Magnecors are probably worth it. If you don't... well... The decision is yours. If you want to go OEM, you might try some of the online dealers. Even if it is just to use their price to get your dealer more in line.

Commuter

Guest rushsteve

Hi guys

Thanks for the great info.....I didn't expect any significant 'boost' from the Magnecors but I thought they might be better in other ways. Now I know that their main benefit is that they will last longer. I might just stick with Subie wires.

Thanks again,

Steve

Guest subyluvr2212

I got mine from Magnecor direct too...

However, I'm surprised no one mentioned this. Magnecor wires are tricky to put on. Be <em>quadruple-sure</em> that the connectors on both the spark plugs and coilpack engage with a "click" or something.

Needless to say, one of my wires was not installed correctly. I unknowingly drove the car around for 3 months with the #4 wire connector sitting about a centimeter from the coilpack connector. The severe arcing that took place ruined both the wire and coilpack.

I have a new coilpack and Subaru OEM wires on now, and am just peachy with them. Obviously, I can't give a longevity testimonial on them since I ruined them, but I agree with Josh. If your old ones need replacement, they're worth a look into. But if you just put new ones on, probably not worth it.