Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Rebuild kits

Who do you all use for rebuild kits when redoing your EA81s? I have mine down to the bare block right now and figure I might as well replace all the bearings and seals since it's apart. I know I can get everything individually, but would rather get a rebuild kit if a good one is out their. The only one I've found is from RPM Machine and I don't recall everyone's opinion on them. Any help would be appreciated.

RAM sells re-ring kits that include the bearings, gaskets, rings, and what not.

http://ramengines.com/_wsn/page3.html

I'm sure thier quality is good, but less expensive kits may be found. (though compared to the kits for my RX7, $200 is pocket change, why my RX7 still has a shot engine.)

I'll also be in the market for a rebuild kit for my EA81 in the (near?) future.

So I will be interested to see what the more experienced members have to say about this. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
AS I SAID - Federal Mogul is the best for what you are asking. Fel-Pro/Sealed Power and OEM are the only acceptible components/gaskets for the EA series engines. Unless you want performance parts - then you should talk with RAM engines.

GD

I agree with you on the Fel-Pro/Sealed Power and OEM but i guess I wasn't clear in the beginning post. I'm looking to get everything I can in one package, not a part here a part there. If they have a package setup please let me know, so I don't have to order everything piece by piece.

AS I SAID - Federal Mogul is the best for what you are asking. Fel-Pro/Sealed Power and OEM are the only acceptible components/gaskets for the EA series engines. Unless you want performance parts - then you should talk with RAM engines.

GD

Just curious, does RAM make their own parts, or do they get them from someone else? If so, who is their supplier?

Just curious, does RAM make their own parts, or do they get them from someone else? If so, who is their supplier?

They make some, yes. But most of the gaskets, bearings, rings, etc they would be buying from someone else. There's just not the ability to make those type of parts unless you are willing to invest 10's of thousands into equipment and facilities. Some small casting, machining, welding, and such is what RAM does, and they could of course make cork and paper gaskets fairly easily. But making something like a ring set takes serious production abilities that they simply do not have.

One thing that RAM may do is outsource (at great expense, and large volume) some of their "special" parts to suppliers of these components. If you have the specs you can have whatever you like made up, but you might have to order 1000 units to get the cost-per-unit down to an acceptable level.

GD